Roadster losing battery charge when turned off

scribbler2300

Standard Bore
Hi All

Anyone out there had a problem with their Roadster losing battery charge when not being used? Mine just had a headlight relay fitted as part of a Triumph recall and since then the battery has been losing voltage at a rate of about 0.2 volts every 30 hours (even with a new battery installed). The Triumph shop says they tested the relay and it is not enough power draw coming from the relay to flatten the battery so it won't start after a week of sitting unused, but that is what's happening and you can feel a slight bit of warmth coming from the relay when the bike is off, so it must be drawing some current

Cheers:cry:

Hi All

Anyone out there had a problem with their Roadster losing battery charge when not being used? Mine just had a headlight relay fitted as part of a Triumph recall and since then the battery has been losing voltage at a rate of about 0.2 volts every 30 hours (even with a new battery installed). The Triumph shop says they tested the relay and it is not enough power draw coming from the relay to flatten the battery so it won't start after a week of sitting unused, but that is what's happening and you can feel a slight bit of warmth coming from the relay when the bike is off, so it must be drawing some current

Cheers:cry:
Beats me why a powered off relay draws current. Are "we" sure it's fitted properly?

Take it back to them, relay should NOT be warm
If it is warm then it is drawing current when off that is not OK

They've stuffed it up, mate!! Bloody banana-benders.....make 'em fix it.

Oh yeah - welcome to the forum!!!!

If you have an Ammeter, preferably digital, remove one of the battery connections and place the Ammeter in series with the battery post and cable. This will show how much power, in Amps, or Milliamps is being drained from the battery. Then try it with relay removed from circuit.

The difference will be the power consumed by the relay, if any.

The problem seems to be found, the headlight relay (part of a Triumph recall) was conflicting with the wiring harness I had put on in February this year. This wiring harness (I believe) was out of a 2011 model Roadster and mine is a 2010 model, the harness was replaced back in February because of a melted plug on the end of the old 2010 harness caused by a faulty regulator/rectifier, so Triumph Australia got me a new one from England, which turned out to be different from the old 2010 harness and they had to also replace 3 other relays as well so they fitted the new 2011 harness (warranty fortunately for me). I believe the recall for a headlight relay to be fitted affects 2010 model Roadsters, provided it has the original wiring harness

Thanks Guys
Cheers:p

Yeah, I thought the same but fortunately it was not the bikes fault, it was Triumphs. They should have realised the relay would not be compatible with the new wiring harness, but anyway, it is fixed and I am back in business

Back