Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
So at 5900 miles my front ME880 is visibly wearing in a strange way. I keep pressure at 38, but over the course of a month or so it'll leak down to 33, at which point I know its low because I get a little head shake that starts at 33PSI regularly, so I air it up. The whole tire's life has been spent doing this 38 psi > 33 psi >38 psi cycle.

If you look closely you can see off center both sides is worn significantly more than the center or the far outer edges. So strange!! Any ideas why this would happen? Is it just a result of cornering quickly often or something not normal, I've never ever had this happen on any of my other front tires in the past on my Daytona.

IMG_20160906_074849.jpg IMG_20160906_074903.jpg IMG_20160906_074912.jpg

Last edited:
Mine did exactly the same thing, which is why I don't run them anymore. Not sure what causes it, but I don't like it and haven't experienced it on Avon or Michelin tires.

It's cupping and the ME880 front tire does it on Rockets. You can lean the bike over and scrape stuff like crazy and you will still have 1" wide chicken strips each side because the profile isn't correct for the rim (as evident from your pics). Go with Avons and you will use the whole profile close to the edge and much better feel, handling and tire life.

It's cupping and the ME880 front tire does it on Rockets. You can lean the bike over and scrape stuff like crazy and you will still have 1" wide chicken strips each side because the profile isn't correct for the rim (as evident from your pics). Go with Avons and you will use the whole profile close to the edge and much better feel, handling and tire life.

And this comes from a WHU supporter so it must be true.:roll: Metz are bad for cupping I have had the same problem but as said not with the Avons.

So at 5900 miles my front ME880 is visibly wearing in a strange way. I keep pressure at 38, but over the course of a month or so it'll leak down to 33, at which point I know its low because I get a little head shake that starts at 33PSI regularly, so I air it up. The whole tire's life has been spent doing this 38 psi > 33 psi >38 psi cycle.

If you look closely you can see off center both sides is worn significantly more than the center or the far outer edges. So strange!! Any ideas why this would happen? Is it just a result of cornering quickly often or something not normal, I've never ever had this happen on any of my other front tires in the past on my Daytona.

IMG_20160906_074849.jpg IMG_20160906_074903.jpg IMG_20160906_074912.jpg
Same thing with my bike, I put the Avons on and about 3000km on no sign as yet of it happening

Back