Roadster Backrest & Bags

fnscotsman

.020 Over
Ride
RIII Roadster 2014
Some of you may have seen my previous posts regarding Edge Brackets that I was looking at to add bags to My Roadster for a quick release solution. Since I got shafted by them I opted for Easy Brackets. My contact at Easy brackets said that their product would not line up on my bike because of the Fehling backrest I had installed. I wasn't sure why this would be a problem other than the bolt length. Anyway to cut a long story short I gambled and bought them from NewR3. When it arrived I could see that the spools that mounts to the rear of the bike would protrude a bit too far for my liking so I thought I would modify them to hold the bags to the bike. Also as I suspected the front mounting bolts were not quite long enough so I ordered 70mm long bolts. (Note that the front bolts are M10 with an 8mm socket head 1.25mm thread pitch).
Here are the un modified spools...
image.jpg

Here are the modified spools. I cut the front so that it was flush with the backrest mounting tab. The rear I cut about 10mm off...

image.jpg

I would have liked to have the rear flush too but the angle would be off and the bracket would not fit properly. However if you find Easy Brackets are 'loose' and have some play then by shortening either the front or rear spacer will cause a slight mis-alignment and thus create more friction and ultimately make for a snug fit. (I may make some fine adjustments later myself.)

Here are the spools mounted on the bike....

image.jpg

And with the brackets...

image.jpg

Finally with the Viking bags mounted.....

image.jpg

I've heard bad things about Viking bags but these leather wrapped ones seem to be nice quality, time will tell how well they hold up...

Rack em up and no it is not a game of 8-Ball.

Bit of a threadmine but handy to know it is is still possible to fit Fehling rear racks etc with Easy Bracket spools. I may have to use this method if I fit my Fehling Solo Riders backrest with rack along with Easy Brackets or Mittzy's stainless steel version and QR Triumph rack brackets.

Back