RobTremblay

.020 Over
:confused:New owner of a 2011 Roadster here. But have many years of experience bleeding /changing fluid on many bikes, and a few cars, and the suggested 'backwards -bleeding' of the brake fluid has served me well many times. Esp. helpfull in eliminating spongey feeling brakes-getting rid of air bubbles in the system! Esp. when I have no helper to assist! Use new/fresh Dot4 out of a new tin/bottle. Don't use Dot 5 fluid. Question - when I serviced my Corvette C4 with ABS, it required different procedures than with a non-ABS brake system. Does anyone know if the ABS on 2010/2011 Roadsters with ABS require special steps when changeing or bleeding thier brakes?​

I just picked up the service manual supplement for the Roadster which is almost entirely about the ABS and contains instructions on bleeding the brakes. It is only $10 from the dealer and the part number is T3851190.

It says you need the Triumph diagnostic tool (opens the ABS solenoid) to bleed the ABS modulator of trapped air. Does anyone know if the TuneECU software can do this procedure? Or is there another tool that allows for opening of the ABS solenoid to allow bleeding of the brakes?

Basically it says to bleed the brakes like non-ABS models, then bleed the ABS modulator using the diagnostic tool, then repeat the brake bleed like a non-ABS model.

I certainly don't want to pay the dealer to do this if there is a way to do this myself.

Was afraid of that!?

:( Am not surprised about the ABS Modulator being a possible issue. Does anyone know if there is a 'work-around' for this when doing a brake fluid change/bleed on a 2010/2011 Roadster ABS system? Do no want to have to purchase a no-doubt pricey tool from Triumph. ? Thanks for any help/info on this. Cheers!

Doesn't seem to be much traffic in this forum so I'm not sure what kind of response to expect. I did some searching and came across this offering that let's one work the ABS solenoids for brake bleeding. The second link is a guy describing it use on his 06 Sprint. Not free but will pay for itself shortly.

I just got my Roadster so I don't need it immediately. If you get it please report back and let me know how it works.

DealerTool diagnostic access to your ECU, for Triumph, Keihin and Sagem ECUs. Dealer Tool OBD and diagnostic interface for Daytona, 675, sprint, speed triple, bonneville, tiger, Rocket3, Rocket

At Last! A Software Tool for Bleeding the ABS System - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Roadster ABS Tool

Thanks for the links, although both refer back the Dealer Tool site. I will most likely purchase that soon. Cheers!:)

Doesn't seem to be much traffic in this forum so I'm not sure what kind of response to expect. I did some searching and came across this offering that let's one work the ABS solenoids for brake bleeding. The second link is a guy describing it use on his 06 Sprint. Not free but will pay for itself shortly.

I just got my Roadster so I don't need it immediately. If you get it please report back and let me know how it works.

DealerTool diagnostic access to your ECU, for Triumph, Keihin and Sagem ECUs. Dealer Tool OBD and diagnostic interface for Daytona, 675, sprint, speed triple, bonneville, tiger, Rocket3, Rocket

At Last! A Software Tool for Bleeding the ABS System - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

One link goes directly to the Dealer Tool site. The other goes to another forum where a bike owner describes his experience with the tool giving the tool some credibiltiy. That is why there are two links.

The reason there is not too much "traffic" on this particular topic, as far as the Roadster goes, is that the Roadster is relatively new. Having not seen the tech manual for the Roadster but by going by past experience...the brake fluid is usually good for at least 2 years or if it appears discolored. Not too many Roadster owners have probably reached this milestone so there is probably no one facing this procedure yet.

If you are planning on doing this type of maintenance yourself you basically have two choices...buy the tool or let the dealer do this who has already bought the tool.

Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

Dennis

The reason there is not too much "traffic" on this particular topic, as far as the Roadster goes, is that the Roadster is relatively new. Having not seen the tech manual for the Roadster but by going by past experience...the brake fluid is usually good for at least 2 years or if it appears discolored. Not too many Roadster owners have probably reached this milestone so there is probably no one facing this procedure yet.

If you are planning on doing this type of maintenance yourself you basically have two choices...buy the tool or let the dealer do this who has already bought the tool.

Good luck in whichever way you decide to go.

Dennis

But you don't have to buy Triumph's tool. ABS in new to the Rocket line in general which is why I didn't expect much response from this site. Thus I provided a link to a site where ABS Triumphs have been around for a few years.

Roadster ABS Tool!

:) i understand - I am in no hurry for a fluid change this soon, but plan to have this bike for many years, so will purchase this tool eventually. Thanks!
But you don't have to buy Triumph's tool. ABS in new to the Rocket line in general which is why I didn't expect much response from this site. Thus I provided a link to a site where ABS Triumphs have been around for a few years.

Back