Roads in Western NC

JoseyR3Wales

Living Legend
Ride
2014 Victory Vision Tour
We have experienced some torrential downpours and another massive slide yesterday on Highway 9 between Bat Cave and Black Mountain, a favorite of motorcyclists to ride. The road is closed indefinitely.

Waters continue to ooze out from these hills and there are numerous locations where gravel is on the road surfaces. The road to my house is only accessible by 4WD now.

If you come this way, be very very careful.

We have experienced some torrential downpours and another massive slide yesterday on Highway 9 between Bat Cave and Black Mountain, a favorite of motorcyclists to ride. The road is closed indefinitely.

Waters continue to ooze out from these hills and there are numerous locations where gravel is on the road surfaces. The road to my house is only accessible by 4WD now.

Josey- we must be neighbors. I was on a section of Hwy 9 yesterday but must have come out north of the mud slide. I was coming home from an over nighter in southern VA and decided to take in a just few more twisties, going from Marion to Old Fort Rd, Hwy 9, then on to Black Mountain- we live in Swannanoa.

Hwy 9 was in surprisingly good condition between those points as of yesterday morning, but things change fast in the mountains, so good advice for anyone out there listening.

The rain has really beat us up- I hope you get your road back soon.

I'm on a black '11 Rocket Roadster. I hope to see you out there...

Thanks- Blake

Hwy 9 is still closed and I wonder about you every time I go down it (often) on the northern section that is open.

Is the access to your house improved, or is it directly contingent on the hwy being fully completed? Take good care...

Bad news. Western NC has some of the best riding in the country. This happened a few years ago in east Tennessee.

Back