Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
i have thrown out several posts today and hopefully this is the last one. We are leaving at the end of june from iowa to around sturgis SD. Couple questions.
1. Any experts or veterans on the r3t in the event i have an issue or need anything, as this will be an 8 hour trip?
2. This is my first "real road trip" on the r3t. Is there anything extra i should pack for the rocket or do to it as a precautionary measure other than the standard tool kit and things that im used to on a bike road trip? Looking to learn from other captains mistakes in the past.

Thanks all in advance.

Jeremy, I made my round trip to Sturgis in 2014 from Virginia. Yours should be a easy day trip. My R3T was much newer then but handled being loaded the whole trip with no worries. I simply did a quick walk around the day before, pre-fitted my gear till I got it the way I wanted, then loaded it the morning of the trip. I iron-butted it to Denver to pick up my three youngest sons, then journeyed from there. I did not
8-1-2014.jpg
8-2-2014.jpg
worry about cleaning the bike along the way as the bugs are so prolithic it is a waste of time.

Check your tires & brakes, watch your route & fuel stops, sure as you count on having gps/cell service, you won’t. Don’t rely on the fuel gauge, use the trip meter and figure out the next fuel stop before you get to 100 miles.
Pack light, try not to bungee anymore stuff on than you have to, and what is tied on needs to be waterproof. Take rain gear, a flashlight & tools. Optional items as space allows- Tire repair kit, air pump, jump starter, fuses, electrical tape & wire, zip ties.
And..take enough money to buy fuel and food until you get home.

Back