Rivco Tip Over Bars Install Question

eem1911

.020 Over
I'm going to do an install of Rivco's tip over bars on my 08' R3 & the instructions state that the engine must be supported or lifted a small amount to take pressure off the front engine mount in order to remove the engine mount bolt. My question is, if I leave the R3 on it's side stand & jack the engine up the required amount, once the front engine mount bolt is out, will the alignment of the engine & frame shift causing the re-insertion of the bolt to be a problem?

Thanks!

If it does shift, you can raise or lower the jack slightly to re-align the holes. Thats what I did on mine.
Hope this helps.

If the frame is staionary & upright, yes, I can use the jack for re-alignment but if the shift is horizontal or at a funny angle due to the weight leaning towards the side stand, then what? I was thinking I would use a 7/16" dia rod to drive the front engine mount bolt out repplacing it with the driving rod, then use the engine mount bolt to drive the rod back out. What do you think?

you can leave it on the sidestand. You're only supporting the bottom of the engine enough to allow the bolt to slip out easy and prevent the motor from shifting. I did mine this was and it was an easy 10 minute job.

If the frame is staionary & upright, yes, I can use the jack for re-alignment but if the shift is horizontal or at a funny angle due to the weight leaning towards the side stand, then what? I was thinking I would use a 7/16" dia rod to drive the front engine mount bolt out repplacing it with the driving rod, then use the engine mount bolt to drive the rod back out. What do you think?

no need to go to that trouble...you're making more of the job than necessary. Have all your stuff ready and slide the old out, place the guards in position, then slip the bolt back in. I did it by myself, but an extra pair of hands would make this a lot easier.

you don't need to "drive" the bolt...apply the lift until the bolt just slides out with hand pressure...easy.

Back