Rivco Risers How to R3T (pic heavy)

Bob R

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
I decided to put some risers on my R3T today and when searching there wasn't a lot about how to do it, plenty on how good it is but that is about it.

So here is a condensed version of the steps.

1) The Rivco instructions are pretty good, to a certain point. As always we know that the best intentions may leave out a few things.

First, gather some tools, along with a set of Allen wrenches and socket set/wrenches you will need;

• 14mm Socket or wrench to remove the original risers.
  • 17mm socket or wrench to bolt on new risers.
  • Home made short 12mm wrench to loosen the nuts on the lower end of the clutch cable. It could actually be smaller and thinner.
Clutch Cable Wrench.jpg

Now it is time to start taking things apart.

• Start by removing the left hand side of the radiator shroud. There are 3 allen head bolts that need to come out. The one on the top left and the two on the left side. You can see why here, if you take it off you can access the clutch cable much easier.
Shroud.clutch cable.jpg

Once the Shroud is off you will need to remove the screen, which is held on with one bolt. Once off you have pretty good access to the bottom of the clutch cable.

Shroud off.jpg

Now you can use the special wrench or whatever you have to loosen the bottom nut on the clutch cable so you can move it when taking the clutch cable out of the clutch handle.

Go back to the top of the bike and adjust the clutch cable for as much slack as you can get and remove it from the handle. Now that it is sticking up in the air you can remove one bolt from the frame cover and snake the clutch cable down so it can be positioned behind the triple tree.

Cable rerouted cover installed.jpg

Fram cover loosening.jpg

Once the cable is rerouted you can screw the cover back in place over the clutch cable.

Now that the preliminary stuff is done it is time to swap out the risers.

Make sure you have covered your tank and headlights with your wife's best comforters because she is already pissed you spent nearly 200 dollars for these things, you may as well put the icing on the cake. ;)

Remove the original end cap/s by removing the plastic plugs and then taking the allen bolts out. If you don't have help just take your time and hold onto things so the handle bars don't fall off and into the shiny or painted parts.

Removing bolt cap plugs.jpg

Once the end cap is off lay the handle bars onto your wife's comforter that is covering the tank.

The bolts on the original risers need to be removed. You will need a 14mm wrench at this point for the nuts under the triple tree. When removing the original risers keep the large washers on top of the triple tree in place and do not lose the large, thick washer from the underside of the triple tree, you will need them for the install.

Once the original risers are off put the new ones in place and using the supplied 17mm bolt and lock washer along with the retained original washers hand tighten the risers.

Now all you have to do is put the handlebars in the new risers, bolt on the endcaps to hold the bars in place, go back and tighten the bolts for the risers then adjust your handle bars to where you want them, reinstall the clutch cable and tighten down the end caps to specified torque provided in the instructions. Once all tightened down adjust the clutch cable to 2-3mm of freeplay at the lever. If you can really measure it, most people I have seen guess are usually at about 6mm and that causes clunky shifting and probably isn't too good for the clutch. Make sure to re-tighten the stop nuts on the bottom of the clutch cable. Start it up and go lock to lock on the handle bars to make sure everything works and you don't get an unexpected squirt of fuel when locked to the left.

Reinstall the radiator shroud and you should be good to go out for a spin.

Final.jpg

Happy Motoring.

bob

Attachments

• Frame Cover.jpg
    Frame Cover.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see your original end cap on the risers. Someone said in another post that they thought you could still use it on the rivco risers. No can do????

I didn't see your original end cap on the risers. Someone said in another post that they thought you could still use it on the rivco risers. No can do????

I honestly didn't even try. I have a camera I plan on mounting there. Looking at them it should work although the logo one piece end cap is more rounded than the Rivco Risers so it won't be a smooth install, you will probably have a small lip. They are more square the the OEM.

bob

I honestly didn't even try. I have a camera I plan on mounting there. Looking at them it should work although the logo one piece end cap is more rounded than the Rivco Risers so it won't be a smooth install, you will probably have a small lip. They are more square the the OEM.

bob

I've been thinking about it, but I incorporated my GIPro gear shift indicator mount into my stock handle bar mount. I would hate to have to redo that to make it work. I would like to move the bars back a bit. I'm just a little stretched out in my arms and would like my elbows bent a little more.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 21
Well, you could just do what I did, and purchase GiPRO's mount - problem solved.

But I like my mount...it's perfect! Lol. Maybe I would get motivated to build everything into one large instrument cluster. Of course...then I would want to add something else and then I'd be screwed again.

So @Bob R ....the only cable you had to reroute was the clutch cable??? You had plenty of length and no problem on the throttle cables??

So how do you like the extra distance back on the handlebars??

I think I would buy a custom length cable an 1 or 2 inches longer for the clutch cable, then I wouldn't have to reroute.

Well, you could just do what I did, and purchase GiPRO's mount - problem solved.

Just checked the website and the mount only fits the DS and X models. Mine is the ATRE version so it won't fit the mount. Back to square 1 again.

Thanks for doing the write up. Is there a reason Rivco doesn't recommend these for the touring? Is everything working well?

Could you take a pic of the whole bike with the risers installed?

Back