Rivco Risers - Clutch Cable

dobro

Supercharged
Ride
2011 R3T
Today I noticed that the clutch cable cover on my 2011 R3T is worn through. When the mechanic installed a Rivco riser a year ago he routed the stock clutch cable behind the triple tree but the cover still wore through on the side directly opposite the spot on the cable that contacts the triple tree. I'm thinking of wrapping a piece of thin plastic over the hole and taping it in place instead of going through the hassle of ordering a longer cable. Is that reasonable or asking for trouble?

Today I noticed that the clutch cable cover on my 2011 R3T is worn through. When the mechanic installed a Rivco riser a year ago he routed the stock clutch cable behind the triple tree but the cover still wore through on the side directly opposite the spot on the cable that contacts the triple tree. I'm thinking of wrapping a piece of thin plastic over the hole and taping it in place instead of going through the hassle of ordering a longer cable. Is that reasonable or asking for trouble?
How would you rate the risers? I understand your cable cover issue but I am thinking about the Rivco risers. I don't have a long reach (5' 8") and I feel I may benefit from the risers height and setback.

I've got the risers but haven't installed them yet. I've got Thunderbike T-Bars on my bike, I did a dry run at putting the risers on, but found out my brake line was going to be too short, even with the brake line spacer thing supplied with the risers. The spacer didn't fit anyway, as when fitted the brake line junction hit the underside of the triple tree. Has anybody else fitted these risers with Thunderbike T-Bars.

How would you rate the risers? I understand your cable cover issue but I am thinking about the Rivco risers. I don't have a long reach (5' 8") and I feel I may benefit from the risers height and setback.

I'm 6'2" and I have not noticed a significant improvement in comfort with the riser.

I used to be 6'2" until my spinal fusion...lost an inch somewhere there, but I am still gangly armed. I was thinking of risers and came to the same conclusion...that they are not going to be much help. I can see putting on perhaps a beach bar, or something. Until then, just moving the bar up and down in the clamp where it is, gets it to the happiest medium I can get given the shape of the bar.

The classic bars may help some with a tad more height and pullback.

I'm about 5.8 also and for me the risers were the difference between an uncomfortable feeling of being perched over the tank in a half lean and a very comfortable relaxed seating position. A huge comfort upgrade for me, at least. 2 inches back doesn't seem like much but it is, and the 1 inch up also allowed me to angle my bars down more for a vastly more comfortable wrist angle.

I also rerouted next to the triple tree at first with the risers and in a relatively short time the cable cover had started to look dinged. So I got a whole set of stainless look Barnett cables for the clutch and throttle. The throttle cables require no extra length (maybe something like 0.25 inches on the outside, but the stock length is fine; any longer and they curve out so far they start hitting the shield, I got a little longer and had to reroute them through the left cable guide on the triple tree rather than the right).

The clutch needs something like 2 inches more, maybe 1.5. You don't want too much there either or it will curve up way high also. First time for me switching cable lengths and it made me realize that the length has to be as exact as possible, and even a quarter inch off can be an issue.

Back