Kevin frazier

Widowmaker!
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 touring
I reached out to smt machining in Glendale az. and with the rims to scan and a dealer purchased gear they will make a set of rims for the touring. I did not get into price but we know they won’t be 100 bucks, but if you are wanting to ditch the cement block rims, here you go. I am looking forward to having this done on next years tear down. If someone else has been desiring this upgrade this may be of interest. If you do this please post your journey for us all.

76F6E90D-16C3-41EE-8E7F-526E22BF298A.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So, teardown is an annual event for you? :eek: I know they’re called rockets, but that doesn’t mean they need to go through FAA maintenance schedules :roll:

Thanks for the tip. Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your new wheels sometime next year…

So, teardown is an annual event for you? :eek: I know they’re called rockets, but that doesn’t mean they need to go through FAA maintenance schedules :roll:

Thanks for the tip. Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your new wheels sometime next year…
Lol, wife says only a meth head tears down a perfectly fine running motorcycle with no issues. This year it was for engine build and mile track rules compliance, safety checks. Next year it’s powder coating and rims, so far :cool: hopefully someone else wants rims and the scanning will be done for touring rims. :D

I reached out to smt machining in Glendale az. and with the rims to scan and a dealer purchased gear they will make a set of rims for the touring. I did not get into price but we know they won’t be 100 bucks, but if you are wanting to ditch the cement block rims, here you go. I am looking forward to having this done on next years tear down. If someone else has been desiring this upgrade this may be of interest. If you do this please post your journey for us all.
When you talked to the shop about new or different rims, did you discuss the R3T or the R3 Classic? I don't know if it matters to the builder, but different sizes.

Lol, wife says only a meth head tears down a perfectly fine running motorcycle with no issues. This year it was for engine build and mile track rules compliance, safety checks. Next year it’s powder coating and rims, so far :cool: hopefully someone else wants rims and the scanning will be done for touring rims. :D
Fret not - they break down often enough to "hide" planned outages.

When you talked to the shop about new or different rims, did you discuss the R3T or the R3 Classic? I don't know if it matters to the builder, but different sizes.
I did not, i only have the email attached to show our communique, I specifically asked about tourings, but what they do is with any final drive assembly from dealer oem new, he stated new which is available I believe (picture inserted below of parts ) that goes with a particular rim, they will scan said rim and make it so the drive flange part you provided fits as it should. He may allow used part for this I don’t know I would think it’s so he can guarantee fitment as a machinist likes precise not wore out parts that may have different tolerances not matter how small but I’m not sure, I’m going to source new flange parts and send him my rims stripped with all accompanying parts bearings and pieces.

16D0D6B7-7C55-4E33-9472-70C8CA46471D.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip I don’t know if you have or have not looked into this but the changes from swing arm to final drive and axle connection and geometry all those issues made me leave this idea alone, Claviger has a post in a thread where he was gonna look at possibilities but I don’t think he ever went any further than looking at a swing arm, so much is different and effects everything I think is why we haven’t seen it. If you do this for the touring community you’d be the man as 17in tires are definitely popular. Good luck and keep it posted if you go through this as we know anything is possible when cash and imagination has no limit. You can do it! As waterboy would say.

Chip I don’t know if you have or have not looked into this but the changes from swing arm to final drive and axle connection and geometry all those issues made me leave this idea alone, Claviger has a post in a thread where he was gonna look at possibilities but I don’t think he ever went any further than looking at a swing arm, so much is different and effects everything I think is why we haven’t seen it. If you do this for the touring community you’d be the man as 17in tires are definitely popular. Good luck and keep it posted if you go through this as we know anything is possible when cash and imagination has no limit. You can do it! As waterboy would say.
I doubt that I will be changing the rear to 17". I am looking at going with a 200 , ( 200-60-16 ). My reason is the factory rims. Mine looked like sh--. The choice I went with was chrome. Kind of pricy, but I do like the added bling.

I doubt that I will be changing the rear to 17". I am looking at going with a 200 , ( 200-60-16 ). My reason is the factory rims. Mine looked like sh--. The choice I went with was chrome. Kind of pricy, but I do like the added bling.
Got a picture ?

I went with a 200/60/16 also for the upcoming season

Attachments

• A45E4219-8E74-4710-BF76-0EA8DC8DD8F6.png
    A45E4219-8E74-4710-BF76-0EA8DC8DD8F6.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 27
Back