Riders backrest

RocketMan3

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster 2014
Hi there does anyone have a riders backrest for sale to fit the 2 piece seat on the 2014 Roadster..?
Any help would be appreciated

Hi there does anyone have a riders backrest for sale to fit the 2 piece seat on the 2014 Roadster..?
Any help would be appreciated

Did you ever buy the Classic Touring dual seat with the square hole for mounting the now unobtainable rider's backrest?

Your post got me off my arse today to try that idea I gave you in an earlier thread:

The other option is to get a spare or your own Roadster pillion seat and use the pillion bracket to make one up. I thought about bending the existing bracket upright but on closer examination if you drill out the pop rivets and turn the backpad around to the other side with a bit of adjustment and then re-rivet it you could then just cover the back with vinyl or leather and use the pillion pad as the as a backrest. This method would reduce how much you would need to bend the bracket upright to reduce metal fatigue and the stamped channels should still provide enough strength and support. The 3 point bracket mount may sit a little proud and you may need slightly longer fixing bolts but the rider seat cushion has a lot of give and would accept it and you would retain the alignment of the 3 holes. Just remove your pillion seat and you should get what I am on about.

It may even be possible to leave your pillion seat in place and mount the converted one on top of it with longer bolts.

Link Removed

I did it as described removed pop rivets, turned bracket around and flattened the circled bit above a little in a steel vise and used the two large strap holding bolts to fix the pad back on. Bent bracket back, fitted with longer bolts, spacer washers and was very proud of myself it looked wonderful - until I tried to fit the solo rider's gel seat. The original pillion pad is quite long and didn't leave enough room after engaging the front to get the solo rider's seat down at the back to engage spigot. Doh!

So I turned it back the normal way and using a bench vise with wooden blocks to get the bend in the right place, two large shifters and my whole 160 kg I pushed it back towards the workshop wall so I did not keep tipping the whole workbench forwards. I bent the bracket pillion pad mounting area forward and up about where the front of the pillion pad ends (top of my brown circle in photo above). I had another 'generic' back rest pad with fitted mounting thread inserts and drilled holes in the bracket to match. I fitted without a pillion seat and as the shorter generic back pad pad is now a few inches further back it allows the solo rider's seat to engage at the front and angles down at the back to engage the underseat spigot. I then tried mounting it piggy bag on top of the gel pillion pad and bracket as well and that worked fine too. I thought about but have not yet cut off the excess pillion seat bracket flanges and holes yet as I may come up with a use for them mounting electricals or other bits and pieces.

I had some extra left over 'L' shaped stainless steel brackets I had used for my first attempt with just the generic back pad that had too much flex so I incorporated them as well but not essential.

For this to work you have to be on the large/tall size to have the backrest engage your back but I'm sure you could mount the pad with a block or similar between it and the bracket to bring it forward and simply unscrew the pad to fit or remove the rider's seat. With my other Classic Touring dual seat with factory backrest fitted in the square hole that fit Roadsters I find I have to use the rear most angle adjustment setting to fit comfortably and even then it can be a tad tight for me.

So an option is to get a 2nd hand R3 pillion seat for about $50 and if you check out the eBay generic back pads here for about $30 delivered make one in an afternoon.

AUD$30 delivered looks quite good Link Removed

AUD$10 bucks delivered to try concept is pretty cheap and no cutting your expensive one.
Link Removed

$20 delivered studded 3 threaded holes with measurements- Link Removed

The 'sofa' look Link Removed

tall 'sofa' Link Removed

'Triangulate' version Link Removed

Heaps more from this site backrest pad | eBay

I will try out my home made version for a while and may even sell my Classic Touring dual seat version if I am completely happy with it as I am planning to fit some red stripe front and rear guards I picked up and never carry pillions anyway.

I can take some photos tomorrow if required.

Did you ever buy the Classic Touring dual seat with the square hole for mounting the now unobtainable rider's backrest?

Your post got me off my arse today to try that idea I gave you in an earlier thread:

I did it as described removed pop rivets, turned bracket around and flattened the circled bit above a little in a steel vise and used the two large strap holding bolts to fix the pad back on. Bent bracket back, fitted with longer bolts, spacer washers and was very proud of myself it looked wonderful - until I tried to fit the solo rider's gel seat. The original pillion pad is quite long and didn't leave enough room after engaging the front to get the solo rider's seat down at the back to engage spigot. Doh!

So I turned it back the normal way and using a bench vise with wooden blocks to get the bend in the right place, two large shifters and my whole 160 kg I pushed it back towards the workshop wall so I did not keep tipping the whole workbench forwards. I bent the bracket pillion pad mounting area forward and up about where the front of the pillion pad ends (top of my brown circle in photo above). I had another 'generic' back rest pad with fitted mounting thread inserts and drilled holes in the bracket to match. I fitted without a pillion seat and as the shorter generic back pad pad is now a few inches further back it allows the solo rider's seat to engage at the front and angles down at the back to engage the underseat spigot. I then tried mounting it piggy bag on top of the gel pillion pad and bracket as well and that worked fine too. I thought about but have not yet cut off the excess pillion seat bracket flanges and holes yet as I may come up with a use for them mounting electricals or other bits and pieces.

I had some extra left over 'L' shaped stainless steel brackets I had used for my first attempt with just the generic back pad that had too much flex so I incorporated them as well but not essential.

For this to work you have to be on the large/tall size to have the backrest engage your back but I'm sure you could mount the pad with a block or similar between it and the bracket to bring it forward and simply unscrew the pad to fit or remove the rider's seat. With my other Classic Touring dual seat with factory backrest fitted in the square hole that fit Roadsters I find I have to use the rear most angle adjustment setting to fit comfortably and even then it can be a tad tight for me.

So an option is to get a 2nd hand R3 pillion seat for about $50 and if you check out the eBay generic back pads here for about $30 delivered make one in an afternoon.

AUD$30 delivered looks quite good Link Removed

AUD$10 bucks delivered to try concept is pretty cheap and no cutting your expensive one.
Link Removed

$20 delivered studded 3 threaded holes with measurements- Link Removed

The 'sofa' look Link Removed

tall 'sofa' Link Removed

'Triangulate' version Link Removed

Heaps more from this site backrest pad | eBay

I will try out my home made version for a while and may even sell my Classic Touring dual seat version if I am completely happy with it as I am planning to fit some red stripe front and rear guards I picked up and never carry pillions anyway.

I can take some photos tomorrow if required.

Yes I did buy the touring seat with the square hole for mounting but I don't find it any where near as comfortable as the original solo saddle seat hence why im looking for a backrest for it as Im going to put it back on. Then im going to cut down the Touring seat back to the backrest mount get a bit of custom work done to it to make it fit and have that as the pillion seat, should look sweet...
If you could flick over some pics of the backrest you have made up that would be great...Cheers

I bought the last Dual Touring seat with rider backrest in the world last year on eBay. Paid about $400. I had a similar seat on my 2012 TBird. Is there a rider backrest available for the TBird or Touring that would fit the square hole seat?

I bought the last Dual Touring seat with rider backrest in the world last year on eBay. Paid about $400. I had a similar seat on my 2012 TBird. Is there a rider backrest available for the TBird or Touring that would fit the square hole seat?

I bought my touring seat from Triumph couple of months ago paid $172AUD

Before I bought it, I supposedly found the backrest for sale on Oz, that is, the web site said it was available but when I enquired, they didn't respond.

Back