Want to Buy Rider seat and backrest for 2010 tourer.

I have New Old Stock of both the original R3 Touring Longhaul Dual and the rider's Solo seats with the mount holes for the rider's backrest available.
A used Solo R3 Touring seat A9708162 Au$ 350 (approx US$240)
A new old stock Solo R3 Touring seat A9708162 Au$ 450 (approx US$310)

I do have one original factory backrest ADJUSTABLE RIDER BACKREST - LONGHAUL A9708158 now but I am keeping it for my other seats as it came with a custom made mount for R3Roadster Solo seats too.

Easy enough to make riders backrests to fit.
I made a few kits with steel posts and aftermarket backrests.
By using 2 sizes of square post you can fit one over the other and drill multiple holes in each with cross bolts to allow height adjustment. I looked at vacuum cleaner hose and/or fittings including chrome tubes as cosmetic covers if desired.

4 short bolts and nylock nuts can be used to fix in 4 holes provided. Best to use a long handled socket extension and fit bolts from top and nuts underneath. I have test fitted this and another non adjustable system I cobbled up.

upload_2019-4-16_12-25-6-png.71509

upload_2019-4-16_12-23-54-png.71508

upload_2019-4-16_12-23-12-png.71507

upload_2020-3-16_12-42-23-png.88256

Square mounting hole from top with plug removed. The plug is fixed with the 2x center bolts.
upload_2020-3-12_20-17-57-png.88032

Mount from underneath seat.
upload_2020-3-12_20-19-29-png.88035

The hinge stem is chrome steel with a heavy chromed tube welded to the top for the cross bolt. I have shortened the stem and it can be drilled and attached to the seat post.
upload_2020-3-12_20-51-32-png.88036

QUOTE REPLY
Report Edit

upload_2020-4-5_4-41-20.png

upload_2020-4-5_4-43-31.png

upload_2020-4-5_4-45-12.png

Last edited:
This is another rider's seat post drawings and photos.
I am now making a similar one using a hardwood block to test but have to wait until another aftermarket backrest arrives to be modified.

Thread Link: Rider’s Backrest - Alternative

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Yeah, a much neater version than mine. With mine though you can either slip over a vaccuum cleaner pipe for cosmetics but also a round pipe covering the square tube will fill out the sides to the full 50mm width of the seat hole reducing flex loading of seat stem on the 4 hole seat mount's base.

Another way to achieve the same or an even better outcome is after fitting and bolting in, to fill in the sides around the steel post tube with four fitted lengths of 12mm 1/2" thick plywood or metal slats or even hard rubber blocks. 4 pieces around it would fill in the gaps completely reducing flex of the stem. They only have to a couple of inches long each to fill the depth of the seat hole. cut two pieces of 12mm thick material x 50 mm wide x depth of seat hole for front and back sides ( i.e. where biggest load will be exerted when you lean back); and the other two side pieces should be almost square 12mm x depth of seat hole.

If you put a small screw in the top of each block with a small loop of wire or string you could easily pull them out if you want to unbolt the seat stem. I believe it will be easier to use a socket from the top of the seat hole to turn the bolt with the nuts held at bottom of seat with a spanner. The trick is getting the 4 bolts lined up and through all the holes which I think is easier from from the top.

Last edited:
I just made a hardwood block to adapt the R3 Utopia riders backrest to fit the factory seats with the rider's seat post hole.
You will need to make 2 thin sheet metal plates to fit either side of the wooden block to prevent the wood breaking from front /rear loads on the backrest (not shown in images below).
This the part of the Utopia mounting bracket you remove.
R3 Utopia riders backrest mod 1.JPG

The other part of the Utopia mounting system bracket is then attached to a hardwood block. I drilled the holes for 4 heavy duty roofing screws to mount to seat. Note also multiple positions drilled to allow adjustment front/rear. The Utopia bracket itself provides height adjustment.
R3 Utopia riders backrest mod 2.JPG
R3 Utopia riders backrest mod 3.JPG
R3 Utopia riders backrest mod 4.JPG

The aftermarket Utopia backrests are available here for US$199.
You need the one for R3 Roadsters that attaches to the Pillion bracket NOT the R3Touring version which is designed to be inserted inside a standard dual seat.
1591513881251.png

Last edited:
Back