Ride it like you stole it break-in

TurboFan

Supercharged
Ride
R3, SP3, T120
Mine was inadvertently broken in that way. I put the first 225 miles on it when it was believed to be a "press fleet" bike and I did not baby it. I was new to the R3 and did not do any wheelies or burnouts but I did miss THREE (3) separate turnoffs when I noticed that people were staring at the bike I felt obligated to drop down a gear and nail it. Later when it was discovered that the bike was not a Press Bike, the dealer had to make it a demo, and during it's first 4,000 miles as a demo bike, it was loaned to Jardine where it was a mule for the development of their headers. It acquired so much dyno time in that endeavor that the front brake lines had to be replaced due to blisters from overheating. I have owned the bike since late in '05. I have succeeded in damaging the tranny once. (Missed second, trying for a second gear wheelie, oops!) but I have not had any engine issues.

Hi

I also have a first generation R3
Cardinal red and black where the only possibilities and the engines where silver colored only.

I left the shop and rode it like an insane idiot.
3 years later I stil ride it like a the average "r3owners.com" member :shock: :shock:

Never a problem with the engine.

The only problems I ever experienced are

corrosion on the wheels and some chrome parts (replaced by triumph for free)
some idle problem (solved it with the help of this forum and a tuneboy)

Vic

JimmyCanuck said:
Has anyone broken in their R3 using the method suggested at http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm ?

I followed a similar break-in methodology recommended by a seasoned Triumph gear head.

Here is my Diary of an '05 Triumph R3 Ride it like you stole it Break-In:

7 am Bike is removed from crate.
1 pm Bike is assembled, Rear End Recall is completed, Chrome tank is installed and Tribal Paint upgrade kit is installed
2 pm Mechanic takes a 10 mile ride and hands me the keys
3 pm Several runs up to 60MPH - constantly staggering speeds, 10 minute cool down
3:30pm Several 100MPH + runs peaking at 130. Staggered 40-60, 50-70, 60-80, 70-90, 80-100, 90-110, 100-120, 110-130. Repeat x 3.

2008 update: 55K miles later and no issues, 145HP prior to '08 triple K&N /TB install, gets smoother all the time and has had no loss in power so far.

I have done zero research/testing of their ring wear claim but based on my limited experience (1 time) I would support this break-in process.

I think if they (Engine manufacturers ) were really worried about this
type of activity they would put in restricted ECU tunes in the factory and
put in standard ones along with the first oil-change.

my '07 black on black beast was a demo bike also. I don't know about the first 235 miles, but I know when I tested it I didn't baby er at all. Up to 500 it was constant up and down70 for a mile, 90 for a mile or two, 120, back down to 60, that sort of break in. ride er like I stole er everyday at lunch now, 120-up, just to enjoy my 30 minute lunch. By the way, theres NO BETTER LUNCH than O2 @120. Thats what for lunch in my world. Good luck, take care. xhdskip

Only thing I don't do during break-in is cruise at a constant velocity/RPM for long periods of time. Otherwise, it is throttle, smoke and burn. :twisted: Done that with all me bikes and never had any problems thousands and thousands of miles later. Just do the break-in oil change at 600 miles and use regular 10W40 moto-oil until you reach 3000 miles. Then switch to the full synthetic. Ride happy and wild!

Back