Ride Around Texas May 1 - 4, 2017

R3Tex

Living Legend
Ride
'13 Rocket III Roadster
Since there has been some interest in this ride I thought I would start a thread with some of the details for those of you who haven't met Google yet...:D. Be forewarned...this is a LONG thread

A brief description of the ride from the Ironbutt website...

Doug Woodall, a Gold Member of the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum had been discussing a possible new Iron Butt Association Ride which was originally given the nickname of "The Texas Rim Job". For obvious reasons it seemed that a more appropriate nickname might be considered so the nickname of the ride was changed to the RAT. This ride would require riders to travel the outline of Texas without leaving the state.

The Motorcycle Tourer's Forum has an annual event they call the Poker Run From Hell (PRFH). Alan Leduc, Founder of the MTF, contacted Doug and ask if he would consider giving his idea for the RAT Ride to the MTF for use in it's 2005 PRFH with the idea that the ride would be developed to the Iron Butt Association Standards and then would be donated to the Iron Butt Association for all to enjoy. Doug agreed to both donate the ride and to serve as the Ride Manager for the 2005 PRFH.

Several months of planning went into development of the ride as it was important to have sufficient stops to ensure both that the corners of the route were marked and that the route stayed in Texas. It was planned that Doug Woodall, Jason Jonas (the MTF IBA Liaison), Alan Leduc, and a few other members would do a pre-PRFH ride to validate the route, work out issues with mandatory stops, determine whether the ideas with regard to RAT Insanity Gold, and RAT Insanity times for certification were appropriate. Life happens. Jason got a job, Doug came out of retirement and accepted a position in Arizona. So Alan agreed to do the pre-PRFH ride during his spring break in March 6-9, 2005.

There is a detailed trip report and ride analysis at Al's IBA Rides) and it is highly recommended reading before you start out on this ride!

A few facts...

1.) This ride is in excess of 3,100 miles around the perimeter of Texas and is intended for experienced long distance riders.
2.) There are 18 mandatory checkpoints regardless of which route you ride (clockwise or counterclockwise).
3.) You must maintain a trip log with dated business receipts (gas, food, hotel, etc)
4.) There are two separate rides along the same route with the same rules...RAT Insanity (finish in 85 hours) and RAT Insanity Gold (finish in 70 hours)
5.) Riders can choose their own route as long as they hit all 18 mandatory checkpoints.
6.) There are pre-requisites for the ride...IBA membership alone for the RAT Insanity and IBA membership + a certified ride in excess of 2,000 miles.
7.) Riders must provide a Spotwalla or similar GPS tracking link to the ride organizers so that your route can be verified (in addition to your trip log and receipts).
8.) You have to register here Ride Master - Home
9.) Registration closes 3/28/17
10.) Ride organizers will provide a GPX file that can be downloaded into your GPS in either a clockwise or counterclockwise fashion that has all of the checkpoints pre-loaded.
11.) This route is available for certification from IBA at any time starting anywhere along the route, however, this particular event starts and ends in South Padre Island.
12.) There is no prize for finishing other than you get to buy a patch from IBA that has the event and mileage on it. No trophies, money, plaques, etc. Just the satisfaction of completing the ride in the prescribed time and the respect of your peers.

Let the games begin...

Lupe we can pick u up while on the north leg. Cooome-on:ninja:. If the crowd is big enough we can bring a support chase vehicle. Is that allowed?

Lupe we can pick u up while on the north leg. Cooome-on:ninja:. If the crowd is big enough we can bring a support chase vehicle. Is that allowed?

On an Ironbutt ride I won't be in this crowd you have envisioned, and typically no, support vehicles are not allowed

On an Ironbutt ride I won't be in this crowd you have envisioned, and typically no, support vehicles are not allowed

85 hours = 875 miles per day average!
70 hours = 1063 miles per day average!
WHIP ME - BEAT ME boys for sure!?!
:eek: :rolleyes: o_O :confused: :D

My typical strategy is to ride as far as fast as long as I can stand it on tje first day, sleep for 4 hours or so then do it again, sleep for 4 hours then finish up

My typical strategy is to ride as far as fast as long as I can stand it on tje first day, sleep for 4 hours or so then do it again, sleep for 4 hours then finish up

So then, are you going for the 85 or the 70?

These guys are tougher than nails and ride like an f5 tornado:eek:, i have no chance in the world to keep up, with even the slowest one of them, i will stay home enjoying the pics they post, thanks for the good intention my brother:)

Three days of 1000 miles+ back to back. This puts the feat in the movie Vanishing Point to shame. I'll tell you what... I might make the leg run just to see how far I can go. I don't think I'll have strength to make the other two legs.

Back