Review and Cold start videos I made recently...let me know what you guys think!

That's brave, giving permission to these guys to say what they think. Most don't have much of a filter anyway.
Nice videos. Looked like a nice ride. Just a little too cool for me.lol

Sigh ....

Another example of the modern phenomenon that allows anyone with a camera to become a purveyor of "information."

I am not too interested in hearing a review from someone who doesn't know the bike well enough to remember to pull in the clutch if you want it to start.

And I'm not sure what qualifications justify pronouncement that the intake design is poor. Or that mufflers "look loud." The intake design and mufflers are the first things after market suppliers attack, because their easy to R&R.

And face it. You knew there was no cruise control before you bought it, no?
Someone will suggest mccruise as a way to add cruise ... probably a better mod than intake and exhaust.

And why would someone be surprised when a nearly new motorcycle starts right up? Frankly, if I'd thought a bike wasn't going to start, I'd try it in the garage, not after I'd pushed it 30 yard away down a driveway. But I would have expected it to start if you haven't done something like left it turned on overnight.

And 20 F with no windscreen is a recipe for frost bite. Get a windscreen and some heated grips, and you'll be more comfortable in those temperatures. They will add more to your cold weather fun than annoying exhausts or gaudy, questionable intake mods.

So .... you asked. It was a nice video project to try out your camera. When you've ridden the bike for 20,000 miles post another.

Oh ... and welcome to Rocket World.

Pretty good quality videos. They joy of the R3 is the blank paper factor. As you decide on your goals, the R3 lends itself to modification like no other bike. Pick your power, from 150whp to 450whp, very achievable in all cases, its just a matter of money. If you want a tourer, its only a matter of a few accessories away. Want a full firebreathing drag bike, again just some money and labor away.

The R3 stands head and shoulders above all comers in it's ability to satisfy almost all roles when equipped with the correct accessories. I don't see any other bikes running deep 9s or high 8s in full street trim without a strapped front end etc, even with engine mods.

The rocket is at the upper limit of noise that is legal according to the EURO 3 standards as delivered. You can get the louder TORs for a better sound, but its not street legal. Louder pipers are a short email away :) The volume is deceptive, observers don't get the super quiet impression that the rider gets, they know when you open it up even stock.

Cruise Control - It's a Roadster not a Tourer... know your niche. There's also a practical reason they don't have it, no ride-by-wire (RBW) throttle, if the R3 gets an update in 2018 to RBW throttles it will have cruise.

Air Intake - See EURO 3 noise abatement standards. The intake is specifically targeted to low RPM torque, noise management, and rain resistance. There are reasons, they aren't obvious for the stock design, and they're targeted to regulatory and reliability factors unfortunately.

Months in storage, no trickle charger and the battery is still charged, no way.

Do you keep your bike on a charger? How long does it stay alive if you don't?

Last edited:
Nice vids. Would more than likely get better reviews posted on a site where people are not as familiar with the Rocket as on this site. Interesting comments.

FWIW, I really like your enthusiasm for the torque. That shows that even though it is a relatively new bike to your garage, that you appreciate what's most important about the Rocket. It is truly about the torque.

When you've waded through more of the information here on this forum, you will have an even greater appreciation for how developable these engines are.

Good luck with your Rocket ... It will be Spring soon and then you'll really get a chance to see what wonderfully capable motorcycles these machines really are.

The Forum Curmudgeon

Months in storage, no trickle charger and the battery is still charged, no way.

Do you keep your bike on a charger? How long does it stay alive if you don't?

I don't know about the newer models but my 2005 would have been dead as a door nail. Letting it run for 30 minutes you should have left it in the hanger it would have heated it up. ;)

Back