Anomaly

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
So, since a tune about 2 months back my bike has been acting weird at what almost feels like a rev limit. In 1st or 2nd gear around 55mph and 65mph respectively it feels like it hits the Rev limit, the neutral light comes on, and it feels like it kicks down a gear position 1->N or 2->1. A first gear rev limit around 55mph makes sense, but a 2nd gear rev limit around 65mph doesn't. (I would expect to be able to hit about 80mph before a review limit in 2nd gear)

I don't usually pull full throttle on my bike, but after any mods (just installed Ram-Air) I usually push it in both slow and quick acceleration to verify everything is running correctly.

Hanso did my tune so I would think the problem isn't the tune. Looking at the Tune on TuneECU on my phone the parameters have the Rev limit set to 7000rpm (assuming I'm reading it correctly) so if it's not the tune, why does it feel like I'm hitting a rev limit much earlier than I should be?

It may be you are reaching a torque or horsepower ceiling, not really a rev limit. Just that the bike doesn't want to go higher in that gear cause it is strongest at a lower rpm and therefore you need to upshift. That's usually what it feels when you've hit the top of your curve. It can rev higher but it just doesn't want to do it in the present gear setting.

Pretty sure stock rev limit (6800) speeds equate to 55/80 and 78/120 in first and second respectively.

Pretty sure stock rev limit (6800) speeds equate to 55/80 and 78/120 in first and second respectively.

Yea, that's about what I would expect, but not what I seem to experience. I'll have to slow accel to the rev limit tomorrow to see if there is indeed a torque limit, in addition to the rev limit.

Stock rev limit of the R3T should be 5800, which would roughly give you 55mph in 1st gear. 7000 equates to a healthy 65.

There is of course no neutral light supposed to be coming on at the rev limit! There is a dent in any R3's stock curve around 5300, but one would not feel it much.

So even with my very limited knowledge about the Touring, it seems to me there's obviously something wrong.

Probably you should contact @HansO, he's the guy who has the experience and knowledge to help you out. Or you just wait, maybe one of the more experienced guys here will give you a hint as well.

Ah, I'd be disappointed too, but one can never be sure about what he's putting in his tank if he rides around a lot. If you have picked up some nasty gas, your filter would be your first line of defense. And the first thing to die.

Back