Returning RIII owner(?)

RoadVenture

.060 Over
Hello all,

I owned an '05 Rocket III standard that I dressed up like an RIII Classic. I liked the bike while I owned it but found that the power was to intoxicating for me. It was only a matter of time before a huge $$ ticket or a really bad get-off. So, sold it in 2008.

Since then, as you know, Triumph has built the RIII Touring model which is batter suited to my current riding style. Long distance, that is. So, I am looking for a used RIII Touring.

I do have some questions though that maybe some of you can help me with if you have time to respond. When I owned my '05 RIII the transmission took s dump. Exactly what happened is that the internal linkage came apart and I was stuck in 5th gear. Triumph did take care of fixing this and other known defects at no cost to me even though I was out of warranty at the time.

• What, if any, known weaknesses exist in the '08 and newer RIII Touring models?
  • How has the rear tire seemed to work out as far as tread life ( I was getting about 4000 mikes out of a rear tire on the RIII Standard)
  • Have the known defects been corrected (fuel gauge error, internal trans shift linkage, etc.)
  • Are there any NEW weaknesses?
  • What fairings are available for the RIII Touring and what is the opinion on them?
Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading your responses.

dave

Welcome back RV from OZ downunder.:)

Can I suggest you open a Bearclaw post and copy and paste ya list and also if you search the subjects there is a host of info within these pages to save you waiting ;)

Otherwise one of the Motly Crew :) will be onto you question with the answer..

Enjoy the company, you have a sense of Humour because you mentioned RED :rolleyes::cool:

Welcome back, Dave. Not into the Touring model myself but I do know that, while there have been a couple of what appear to be lemons, there are plenty of very happy R3T owners on here. Of course there are some issues as with everything and some precautions you can take but I get the feeling the R3T is capable of providing relatively trouble free riding - and it also has a ton of untapped potential. That's why you can't get them in red; the red ones were too fast for what triumph wanted in the Touring. ;)

Someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you out I'm sure. You might even find one for sale.

Welcome back I'll try to answer your concerns, I own a 09 rocket touring and it's been one of the finest bikes I've ever owned. No trans problems,or gas gauge issues,tires is a different story,the stock metzlers suck I replaced them with Bridgestone excedra max's and so far I have over 5000 miles on them and they are fantastic! The bike is smooth as silk and rides like a dream the power is always there as far as a fairing goes Corbin makes about the best one out there however there a bit pricey $1800. With triumph paint. I hope this helps........sandman

I have an 08 R3T, I bought it new and have had zero problems with it, Unfortunately I have never worn out a set of tires so I cant speak for the Mileage, I have had a total of 5 flat tires since I've owned it, + there was a tire recall a few months after I bought it. I currently have about 3000 miles on the Metzlers I'm running now.

The Gas gauge did take a little getting used to, Not long after filling it up It'll show 1/2 a tank which was a bit disconcerting at first. But the "miles left on a tank" display seems accurate.

All things considered it is by far the best bike I've ever owned and would not hesitate to recommend it to someone looking to purchase one.

not available in RED

CanberraR3,

Yes, I am aware of the issue with the RED RIII. That is why I no longer own one..........

glad to have ya back RV.
there should be a couple of very fine Touring models at a Victory dealer in Tennessee,
Rainman or STB could point ya to to the right one.
Welcome Back, and happy hunting.
skip

Back