Results opening secondaries?

Rocket3Pilot

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket III Roadster
So before I started modifying anything at all to my bone stock 2013 Roadster, I opened the secondaries 100% after receiving the go ahead from those responders on this website. Thanks again!

To my surprise, after reading so much about this single, all powerful trick or tip, I could not honestly detect any difference at all? So, just to make sure, I reinstalled the stock tune or map and rode again. No Change?

I went back to the hanger, double checked that I was in fact changing the map each time and did it once more with the secondaries opened 100%. Again, no change.

So, I couldn't see any point and returned the map to stock.

I understand that it may actually help when other things are done to the tune besides just opening the secondaries and I will get that done when I start adding the I/E mods with their proper tune.

Just thought it was interesting to try, and gave me some initial practice with TuneECU changing, saving, and labeling new tunes.

BTW I almost had a stroke with the first load to the ECU. Everything looked perfect, green bar filled, dialog box confirmed success, push red start button..............NO SOUND, NOTHINGo_O, AYFKM!!!! I tried everything as my blood pressure rose. I had to leave and distract myself with lunch to try to calm down, and while I was sitting in my stew.............THE HEADLIGHT FUSE! Of course you idiot:banghead::banghead::banghead:. Ran back to hanger, inserted fuse, bike started immediately and ran perfectly. Blood pressure returned to normal while I suited up and waited for the fan to come on so I could go for a test ride.

DON'T FORGET THE FUSE!;)

The secondary restriction is only present in certain areas of the maps, I forgot to tell you, there is also the timing map changes. To get full power in all gears, open secondaries 100% everywhere and copy the i3 table into i2 and i1 tables. Even on the 2014 and newer "de-restricted" bikes the ignition table is neutered in 1st and second.

For your new exhaust and intake it's not a big deal, but you certainly want to fix the high RPM area to be open secondaries at 100%, otherwise your gains from the exhaust and intake will be vastly reduced.

It's also pretty hard to judge actual torque output on rockets with the but dyno, 10lb-ft change is about the minimum I can feel using my rear, and I am pretty sensetive to it, having street tuned via data logging for about 12 years now.

With ignition maps copied over and secondaries opened up, the most readily detectable change is the amount of instant bite when you are at like 2500-3000 in 1st or 2nd gear and snap it open, not roll, snap. You will feel distinctly more instant torque.

Riding style might make secondaries a non-issue for a lot of people. Most riders of any model bike I know won't and don't use 100% throttle in 1st gear, usually out if a healthy respect of wheelies and wheel spin.

The secondary restriction is only present in certain areas of the maps, I forgot to tell you, there is also the timing map changes. To get full power in all gears, open secondaries 100% everywhere and copy the i3 table into i2 and i1 tables. Even on the 2014 and newer "de-restricted" bikes the ignition table is neutered in 1st and second.

For your new exhaust and intake it's not a big deal, but you certainly want to fix the high RPM area to be open secondaries at 100%, otherwise your gains from the exhaust and intake will be vastly reduced.

It's also pretty hard to judge actual torque output on rockets with the but dyno, 10lb-ft change is about the minimum I can feel using my rear, and I am pretty sensetive to it, having street tuned via data logging for about 12 years now.

With ignition maps copied over and secondaries opened up, the most readily detectable change is the amount of instant bite when you are at like 2500-3000 in 1st or 2nd gear and snap it open, not roll, snap. You will feel distinctly more instant torque.

Riding style might make secondaries a non-issue for a lot of people. Most riders of any model bike I know won't and don't use 100% throttle in 1st gear, usually out if a healthy respect of wheelies and wheel spin.
Ok, thanks! I'll give that a try next chance I get. I'm using a MacBookPro with Windows 10 running through Parallels emulator and it works, but it really slows down the CPU. Both the OS X and Windows are painfully slow, so tonight I'll go in and see if I can follow what you're suggesting with ignition tables. Thanks again

You may just be running out of memory on the Mac when running two operating systems at a time. That tends to make the computer start "swapping" memory content to the hard drive which brings the whole machine to a crawl.

As per Clavier's advice, I went back and copied the i3 table to the i2 and i1 tables and opened the secondaries 100%. NOW WE'RE TALKIN!

A very noticeable difference! If I time it right and about 2500 rpm in 1st I can snap the throttle and bring the front wheel off. Not a stand up wheelie but accelerating on one wheel. Pretty impressive for a stock bike weighing 800lbs and a cruiser wheel base. Can't wait to start adding Ramair and TOR's and headers!

Thanks Claviger!

Back