Reset and adaption done right

Penner

Supercharged
Ride
Honda Helix Kawasaki W800
Edit:
Sorry, I know this is not new and known to most of you.
But anyway I have seen it done wrong quite a few times.

The following will force the system to make adaptions:

1. Ensure the coolant is at ambient temperature
2. Start the engine and allow it to warm without touching the throttle until the cooling fan comes on.
3. Leave the engine to idle for a further 12minutes.

The following can also be done with Tune-ECU

As an alternative to the above process, connect the diagnostic tool, scroll to
ADJUST TUNE and select RESET ADAPTIONS. This will force a fast adaption routine to
take place in around 5 seconds. For this to happen, the engine must be running, it
must be at normal operating temperature and in closed loop control mode.
Under any
other conditions fast adaption will not take place and may cause default values to be
loaded, which may then require a normal12 minute adaption routine to be run.
Note: Closed loop will activate at approximately 75°C (167°F)

I am not sure about this, but if you got a custom map you should set AF- tables in idle area to 14.5 to activate closed loop operation.

Prost

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not sure where your going with this bit it is a good subject. Years ago I did change all the A/F ratio cells that were 14.57 :1 to 14:1 just so the ecu did not have any reason to look for and calculate using the narrow band O2 sensor. At the time I was using a Weggo III wide band sensor and recording program. To collect data and recommended changes tp the map.

Now as for the fast adaptation method of forcing the resetting of the adaptives while the engine is running. I have not tried or even looked to see if that function is available on tune ecu or tune boy. Tune boy does gave you do it manually but bike not running. (The directions scroll across the screen in tune boy)

Let me know if you try it and the results.

Tune-ECU has a function and button to adapt and reset.
It is not for tuning purpose, but to reset, if something went wrong.

For tuning I use PC5 and Autotune.
In Tune-ECU there is another button to transfer PC5 tables (that you made with Autotune)

Tune-ECU has a function and button to adapt and reset.
It is not for tuning purpose, but to reset, if something went wrong.

For tuning I use PC5 and Autotune.
In Tune-ECU there is another button to transfer PC5 tables (that you made with Autotune)
Ya back when I was doing it there was no pcv and auto tune. Just tune boy which would still except tables like tune ecu.

I called it Polish auto tunski :D

2010_0805_042821.jpg

2010_0805_042802.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guy, I've always needed an easy alternative to the complicated 12 minute tune

:eek:I have been doing it all wrong for years. It's amazing that I could be reading an instruction and not seeing it. I have always hit re set adaptation after work in tune ECU and been satisfied. I have only done the Twelve Min adaptation a couple of times in the last 10 years without much of a challenge. Had some of the usual problems a year or so ago and put in new TPS, had @HansO update the base tune he had given me a couple of years ago and the bike is running better than ever. Just went to the shed and did the 12 min thing ....... I wonder .... might finish my coffee and go for a ride.

i would think that the only time that it would need the 12 min would be if u change the battery and it run like shiit after. or if u took it from a low altitude to high on a trailer.
i know that some of the older vehicles when the bat is disconnected they do not run good til u go around the block a few times. what happens on them is it resets to original new settings and has to relearn.
i have never done the 12 min tune and have about 38000 miles on him.

Back