Replacing rear indicators with LEDs

FunkSoulBro

Supercharged
Ride
2006 Classic
Hello Captains,
As per the title of this thread, I have purchased some LED indicators for the rears only at this point. On reading through the various threads regarding this subject Id like to confirm my understanding of the process.

1. As I am only replacing the rears, can I assume that replacing the blinker relay with an electronic relay to eliminate the fast flashing is not possible unless replacing all indicators with LEDs.
2. If the above is correct, then a compatible resistor to match the 10W globe is to installed IN LINE on the positive feed to the new LED indicator (on the node).

Im not an electrician so apologies if I have used incorrect terminology. Then again Im not a gynecologist, but Im happy to have a look at it for ya.

FSB

1. partial filament bulb indicator circuit will work fine with LED-friendly indicator relay
2. resistors are only needed if using LEDs with a filament bulb flasher relay (to create a current draw to mimic a bulb)

why not just get some LED "bulbs" to replace the front filament bulbs?

1. partial filament bulb indicator circuit will work fine with LED-friendly indicator relay
2. resistors are only needed if using LEDs with a filament bulb flasher relay (to create a current draw to mimic a bulb)

why not just get some LED "bulbs" to replace the front filament bulbs?

Thanks RiiiR for your reply.

1. So I can use an electronic relay.
2. I can install resistors to match the output

I want to replace the indicator housings as I don't like the look of them, have purchased new led lights and have resistors ready to go.

Cheers.

ok great. but i meant that if the electronic relay you are going to use is designed for LEDs, then you won't need the inline resistors.

Resistors do NOT go IN-LINE regardless - they go in PARALLEL

However whether replacing only the rears, or both ends, the relay will work for simple plug n play solution and no resistors needed

However whether replacing only the rears, or both ends, the relay will work for simple plug n play solution and no resistors needed

Yes of course in parallel. Might get the relay instead. How many blinker relays are on the bike?

1, under the right side panel, front most relay, 3 pin

Can be either series or parallel.
Btw is there an echo in here?

... why not just get some LED "bulbs" to replace the front filament bulbs?

Do they make such bulbs that will fit in the OEM housing. If so, do I understand correctly that the LED bul(s) would neither require a relay or resistors to work properly?

As you may have surmised, my brain turns into mush when it comes to matters electric.

LEDs would have better conspicuity all day long/in all conditions than standard incandescent filament bulbs, wouldn't they?

Back