Replacing Negative Battery Cable

Rogiecrockett

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Hello,

I have searched and read the threads on this, some as recent as last fall. Most of the info is that people have replaced and shared results but there is no detail on where the cable goes.

I had some time yesterday and with warmer weather, I took the battery out and started to trace the negative. It quickly disappears into the engine and is not easy to trace. Before I start to tear into this project I would like to have an idea what I am looking at.

From the battery, where does the negative go? I assume it goes to the starter but did not see where it came through.

Also there is a small thin wire that ties into the negative at the battery, where does this wire go to?

I will replace with a 4 gauge.

Here is what I am trying to fix/make better: I leave my stock battery on a trickle charger and when starting in cold weather, it hesitates and sometimes fires and other times does not fire.

I can ride in temps down to upper 20's with warm riding gear. The problem is not with riding temps but with leaving the bike sit outside for 10 hours without being on a charger. I do not want to get stuck with a no-start 55 miles from home.

My plan is to replace in order of cost, new negative ground cable, a stronger battery and finally if need be, a new starter.

I will gladly take any and all advice.

Thanks,
Dave.

Easier to do, as a number of us have, is simply purchase a replacement cable from Triumph (one of the more reasonably priced items in their parts bin) and double up the one that is there. It is already the correct length and has terminals on each end.

Easier to do, as a number of us have, is simply purchase a replacement cable from Triumph (one of the more reasonably priced items in their parts bin) and double up the one that is there. It is already the correct length and has terminals on each end.

But where does it go?

:)

bob

As @Joesmoe said. Just order a replacement and double it up. The wire goes straight down from the battery to the undercarriage, and if I remember correctly connects to the starter. I just cut the extra connector off and taped it up good. That connector is needed on your original cable as - for the wiring harness.

I also had intermittent starting problems almost from new. The problem was in the starter all along. I stole parts off a new Toyota starter and the starter spins twice as fast as it ever did, even when it was new.

Have not had a problem since. The triumph negative cable cost about 12 bucks.

As @Joesmoe said. Just order a replacement and double it up. The wire goes straight down from the battery to the undercarriage, and if I remember correctly connects to the starter. I just cut the extra connector off and taped it up good. That connector is needed on your original cable as - for the wiring harness.

I also had intermittent starting problems almost from new. The problem was in the starter all along. I stole parts off a new Toyota starter and the starter spins twice as fast as it ever did, even when it was new.

Have not had a problem since. The triumph negative cable cost about 12 bucks.
Jag, what parts did you use from a Toyota starter that made the starter work better?

Jag, what parts did you use from a Toyota starter that made the starter work better?

NEW Starter 17774 Fits Camry Sienna Solara Avalon Rav4 Highlander Starter 2.2L
( 201570747730 )

That's the starter I bought from eBay 50$ 700plus from big T

I replaced all the parts that fit (memory not as good as it use to be)the solenoid area. The body, the spring and the plunger could be cut down to fit, but that was not my issue. Spins twice as fast as it did.

Now you could replace the whole thing if you swapped the front cone, where the gear is. 1.4kw to oem 1.2kw.
The electrical connector is the same but 180 degrees out. Glued in but I'm sure it could be done.

If I have any further problems that is what I'll do, but as of now just swapping out all the components that were interchangeable did the trick for me.

Make sure to clean all around the starter before you remove it, because it slides into the engine with an o ring seal, you don't want to get any road grime into the engine.

If its like the Classic and standard model The negative runs down the side of the box then travel forward and hooks down in front of the air box to the rear left of the engine, the little pig tail your referring to hooks into the main harness coming from under the fuse box about 5 inches down right by the rectifier.

Last edited:
The thick Negative cable goes from battery and bolts on to the rear of the engine.

I replaced my Negative cable with TWO triumph cables, it goes to the back of the engine, NOT the starter. I used a hooked brake tool to help me fish the cable end down and through the various kit till I got it where it needed to go. Then I removed the original cable and started routing the second new cable along side the first. I hope that helps.

Back