Replacing Gear Position Sensor

Deano RT

Standard Bore
Hi all,

With reference to my Rocket Touring 2012, has anyone had to replace the gear position sensor with the new (and supposedly) enhanced wiring harness? The replacement sensor comes with a new wiring set up and it is no longer a simple job of replacing old for new. The new sensor has a much shorter lead and requires a new three way wiring harness. I have the new Triumph recommended wiring harness but the suggested replacement process includes removing the airbox to access the connections. Removing the airbox, according to the repair manual, is almost a complete rear end dismantle. If the new sensor had the same length lead I could replace it in minutes. Any tips?

Dean

There's no need to remove airbox, just the left side engine infill panel.
Unless the Touring layout is different from Roadsters...

There's a photo how-to writeup about this new GPS stickied on the .com site.

Could you post a picture of the new sensor and new harness?

Thanks Warp9, picture posted below. You will note that the sensor has a short lead which is meant to attach to the single end of the fly lead (which has three plugs at the other end). The lead from the sensor is way too short to simply replace the old one with this new one (one sensor with one lead to only one connection). The fitting instructions for this new fly lead are not exactly clear (to me that is) and instruct to remove the airbox to access the primary throttle position sensor, etc. The second pic suggests the set up is quite obvious but the connections are not like this on my Touring model. All a bit confusing for my novice brain.
Thanks, Dean

Attachments

• IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 87
Thanks R-III-R, I'll check out the .com site, which I presume is the Triumph site. The layout is slightly different to the Roadster (according to the fitting instructions sent to me, these may be the same as on the site, but I'll check).
Thanks, Dean

Thanks R-III-R, I'll check out the .com site, which I presume is the Triumph site. The layout is slightly different to the Roadster (according to the fitting instructions sent to me, these may be the same as on the site, but I'll check).
Thanks, Dean

Triumph gave me the memo/supplement that was sent to Triumph techs for the GPS update vs old main wiring harnesses (where this adapater/fly lead is required), but made me promise to not distribute it.
So i typed up how-to on the .com site, but only for the clocks mod. The installation of the sensor and fly lead I left out as i saw it as being straightforward.

I don't know if the memo is the same as your instructions, but on the memo shows Roadsters and Touring as being the same, installation wise. Clock mod is Roadster specific though.

Anywho, the install can be done without even dislodging the airbox, just a bit fiddly and fingertippy.

Hi all,

With reference to my Rocket Touring 2012, has anyone had to replace the gear position sensor with the new (and supposedly) enhanced wiring harness? The replacement sensor comes with a new wiring set up and it is no longer a simple job of replacing old for new. The new sensor has a much shorter lead and requires a new three way wiring harness. I have the new Triumph recommended wiring harness but the suggested replacement process includes removing the airbox to access the connections. Removing the airbox, according to the repair manual, is almost a complete rear end dismantle. If the new sensor had the same length lead I could replace it in minutes. Any tips?

Dean

The best way to replace it is to remove the terminals from the connector on the end of the harness. You can use a small flat or pointed tool to push down on the little tabs inside the connector to release each of the terminals. Keep track of where each of the colored wires go in the connector. It is an almost impossible task to run the wires up where they need to be with the connector on. You may need to feed a flexible piece of wire down and tape it to the terminals to pull them up to where they need to connect. Reinstall the terminals in the connector and hook it back up.

FYI...I didn't do this myself, but closely watched what a mechanic did when they had to replace mine. After fighting for 15 minutes trying to get the connector up to where it needed to be this is what the mechanic had to do to replace the sensor. Replacement of the sensor was a piece of cake....it was the wire that was the problem. The sensor does need to engage properly with a pin sticking out as I recall.

The best way to replace it is to remove the terminals from the connector on the end of the harness. You can use a small flat or pointed tool to push down on the little tabs inside the connector to release each of the terminals. Keep track of where each of the colored wires go in the connector. It is an almost impossible task to run the wires up where they need to be with the connector on. You may need to feed a flexible piece of wire down and tape it to the terminals to pull them up to where they need to connect. Reinstall the terminals in the connector and hook it back up.

FYI...I didn't do this myself, but closely watched what a mechanic did when they had to replace mine. After fighting for 15 minutes trying to get the connector up to where it needed to be this is what the mechanic had to do to replace the sensor. Replacement of the sensor was a piece of cake....it was the wire that was the problem. The sensor does need to engage properly with a pin sticking out as I recall.

Thanks, but did you need to install a new fly-lead like in the photo above in the reply to Warp9? If the replacement sensor was exactly the same as the old one I'd be finished by now, but the inclusion of a new fly-led with three connections on the end is stumping me, even with some tech installation diagrams.
Dean

Thanks, but did you need to install a new fly-lead like in the photo above in the reply to Warp9? If the replacement sensor was exactly the same as the old one I'd be finished by now, but the inclusion of a new fly-led with three connections on the end is stumping me, even with some tech installation diagrams.
Dean

No... they did not install the fly lead. I apologize for not having read all of your post. I must have blown past the fly lead part. It does look like that would complicate things. The airbox does make it difficult getting to the area they talk about. That's why I plan to remove mine this summer and replace it with the Ramair. Good luck with the fly harness. I wonder why they made the change unless there was a wiring issue. That may have accounted for the iffy state of the gear position sensor at times in the past.

Back