Replacing Coolant Temp sensor

RocketJockey

.040 Over
Has anyone done this? It appears as though I have to remove the throttle bodies and oil tank to do this. Is there anything specific I need to know outside what the service manual states? It sdoes not explain how to do this but it seems obvious that the oil tank has to be removed, which seems to require the throttle bodies to come off as well. What am I getting myself into?

The coolant temp sensor screws into the head directly under the intake port for cylinder #1 (front). Remove the throttle bodies and see if you can remove it without pulling the oil tank as 50% of the time that the tank is removed, it leaks after replacing it.

If you cannot access the sensor with the oil tank in place, remove it - it is just two bolts. Clean the mating surfaces on the on the block and tank and coat with Permatex RIGHT STUFF prior to installation - even if new o-rings are being used.

I hope this helps,
-Wayne

The coolant temp sensor screws into the head directly under the intake port for cylinder #1 (front). Remove the throttle bodies and see if you can remove it without pulling the oil tank as 50% of the time that the tank is removed, it leaks after replacing it.

If you cannot access the sensor with the oil tank in place, remove it - it is just two bolts. Clean the mating surfaces on the on the block and tank and coat with Permatex RIGHT STUFF prior to installation - even if new o-rings are being used.

I hope this helps,
-Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I really appreciate the conversation today. Your idea about air in the cooling system was dead on! A week of troubleshooting was solved with a few cups of distilled water. When I require service in the future you can be sure I will head down to Alabaster, AL to see you. I owe you a few cold ones when I do!

I hope this helps,
-Wayne
Years after this post, finding that to be very true! I think the difficulty of getting the O ring to remain in place on the left tube whilst being torqued down inside that awkward hex fitting into the block is the issue.

Back