Replacement Battery

boale

.020 Over
Has anyone installed an Odyssey PC625 battery in a Rocket Touring model and if so what changes did you need to make to the battery holder. I was reading on the forum about R3 standard bikes needing to make changes but after looking at the battery box and the heavy bracket connecting it I'm not sure it will fit. Also, does the extra height of the battery interfere with the snorkel under the seat?

Many of us have installed the PC625 and unfortunately been very disappointed in it. After 14 months I had to change it out again. It just didn't perform well in the cold.

I now have a Scorpion Battery (the H-D version) and it worked great last winter and is doing well so far in this latest cold snap.

For what its worth, my advice would be to stay away from the PC625.

Scorpion Battery Replacement Battery For Harley Davidson # 65989-97B 12 Volt AGM Sealed Battery- Free Shipping

It drops right in with no mods.

I also read that with the Odyssey battery you needed to use their ultimizer charger to get the most out of the battery. Apparently the Battery Tender trickle charge is not enough to keep the Odyssey PC625 battery fully charged.

I had one in my R3T for a year or so. Had to sell it when I installed a Corbin seat as the mounting bracket on the Corbin would not clear the top of the Odyssey.

I had excellent luck with the battery. You are correct that it requires a different charger, I purchased the Odyssey and it worked fine. I suspect some of the problems people have had are related to not getting the battery fully charged. That said, I don't live in a cold climate so I'm probably not the best source for cold weather riding.

Whether or not the battery will fit into your battery tray seems to be a matter of manufacturing tolerances. Mine fit very snugly, others have reported having to modify the bottom of the tray to get it to seat properly.

Do you use a battery tender with that battery.

I use a standard Battery Tender Jr with the Scorpion only when the temps are forecast to drop below 35. Truthfully, I forget to put it on the charger often but have never had a problem even when it is really cold.

The PC625, even with the special charger, just wouldn't perform like I expected it to. Too many times the bike would sit all day outside at work and not start when I was ready to go home.

2008 Triumph 2300cc Rocket III Motorcycle Batteries My personal take is you get what you pay for but a well maintained battery will perform as well as a poorly maintained higher rated battery.The battery tenders will charge at the rate of 2 amps..which is reccomended charge per manufacture of most batteries..I believe that the Odyssey PC625 requires more than a 2 amp charge..hence you need to purchase their charger..perhaps someone with their set up can verify this by checking the amps put out...If you exceed the 2 amps,you may damage your battery and shorten the lifetime of your battery.If you use a "trickel charger" without an auto shut off,you may overheat the cells and damage the battery also..Hence buy a Battery Tender that auto shuts off and auto turns on when low!

Which Scorpion battery have you all been using. I saw that tdragger recommended the
YTX20DHL Scorpion Harley Davidson #65989-97B 12 Volt Battery. Seems alot of guys on the BearClaw forum have had good luck with the Odyssey PC625 if coupled with the right charger.

You sound like you're pretty set on getting the PC625. I can ship you a used one that's been sitting on my shelf for the past year and half.

Ask yourself:

special charger vs. ordinary charger

fitting issues (taller, wider) vs. exact fit

poor cold weather performance vs. good weather performance

-duh-deleted. I thought you were talking about a different site.

Back