Replace Rear brake pads?

60andoverweight

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
The shop manual seems to tell me I need to remove the axle nut and just about remove the axle etc and lift off the caliper to change out the pads. Is that truth or am I making too much of the job?

Thanks!

That's what I thought. I had a shop do the tire change and didn't think to bring the pads.
Did the rear pads myself last year , Done it the same as all my other bikes just removed the pins and pushed the pistons open and slipped the new pads in . I never looked at the manual . Did not remove the calliper or axle nut .

I changed both front and rear pads on Fiona, my '14 R3T, without removing the tires or calipers. Literally the easiest brake job I've ever done. It took me about 15 min (5 min too long) as I'm slow... always double checking my work.
-MIG

No need to remove anything but the R clips and pad pin, .Just make sure you push the pistons back to allow for the wider new pads , and try not to let the anti rattle plate drop down from its allocated position.

No need to remove anything but the R clips and pad pin, .Just make sure you push the pistons back to allow for the wider new pads , and try not to let the anti rattle plate drop down from its allocated position.
On a side note before you push the pistons back give them a good clean and a smear of rubber grease.

Back