Repacking the predator

Willtill

Nitrous
I think I should need to repack my Predator's muffler (if you can call it that). ;-)

I seem to be making more little kids and soccer mom's jump in complete fright; when I blip the throttle while slowly cruising through a parking lot :mrgreen:

Anyone repack their predator's as of yet? I have some packing material for my DG Exhaust on my DR650; plan to use it for the Pred.

Well this thing is kicking my ass. I can't get the frikken core to come out. :pullhairout:

I've taken out the two alignment allen screws from the outside of the SuperTrapp, and have been using a 14" long bolt; trying to catch the interior lip of the core itself; and trying to pound it out.

SuperTrapp's website is of no help; they talk about removing the muffler from the vehicle and pounding out the core out; from the inlet side; with a wooden dowel. Can't do that with the Predator's that Sam made; because he welded the muffler to the pipes.

I really like to get this sucker repacked; since it will tone it down just a little. I like the sound (though I wear earplugs) but I do see blood weeping from every liberals ear(s); that I pass by. I want to take pity on them.

Anyone have success getting the core out of these SuperTrapps, that Sam welded onto the Predators?

I have a slide hammer puller set that has an L-shaped attachment for pulling bearings.
Check Harbor Freight.

Oh wait, you won't see this. Never mind.

I vote slide hammer too.
What happens if you remove the allens in the end cap?

The six Allens in the end cap do not prevent it from coming out. They don't attach to anything which would prevent the core from being removed.

I am going to drop an email to Sam. He is more familiar with these (he built them). I'll let you all know what he says; if he's still responsive. Otherwise... liberal ears will continue to bleed.

You know Will, I didn't get the impression that your exhaust was all that loud when we met on Saturday. Then again, you weren't getting on it either. I kinda like it the way it is...

You know Will, I didn't get the impression that your exhaust was all that loud when we met on Saturday. Then again, you weren't getting on it either. I kinda like it the way it is...

It has a nice sound at idle. But earplugs are a must when hammering it. It is deafening.

I had mine out when I had the color change done..if I remember correctly (and I probably don't) lol, I think I redneck engineered a flat piece of metal stock that bolted up temporarily with a couple of the allen bolts, then hammered it out..I think I remember it being a pita too..leave it alone, it ain't loud..keep on rollin'

So subtracting the less non-contributing members comments in this thread :roll: hopefully the following will be helpful for others; and their Predator SuperTrapp.

I have addressed the issue with my SuperTrapp packing; hanging off of my Predator Exhaust (made by Sam).

I have been so preoccupied with riding my bike(s) that I have sort of shelved what I was going to do with repacking the exhaust. This morning though; my friendly neighbor gave me a "little" stink eye at the sound of my Rocket; as I was getting ready to hammer it down the road. Maybe it was Sunday morning; maybe he had a bad night; but nonetheless it was high time that I attended to the surgery of the SuperTrapp.

Which wasn't hard. I just hate fluxxing around with any type of tailpipe.... if you know what I mean. :oops:

So onward.....

Here is the business end of the SuperTrapp after I removed the core

My main question in this thread, was how to remove the core since the SuperTrapp could not be removed from the Predator (welded on). A simple piece of metal affixed to the non-used Disc mounting bolts did the trick; with a couple of taps of the hammer; to help persuade it out of the SuperTrapp housing.... Thanks to rkt88 for the hint about fabricating the bracket. Thanks Bud! :thumbsup:

Here is a closeup of the three headers junction into the SuperTrapp

Here is the core removed; and as you can see.... the initial 5,000 miles of a normally aspirated Rocket 3 engine; and then the following 7,000+ miles of Carpenter Racing Gorilla aspiration had burned a hole through the topmost part of the packing and outer screen

The packing was 3/4's of the way GONE... hard to see in this picture.... but most of the packing had simply burned away... disappeared....

I had some Lexx packing that I was going to use in my DR650's DG Exhaust (and btw... I did repack that; this afternoon as well).... so I was happy that I had enough to do both exhaust systems

Getting ready to cut and roll it

And here is the final product. Was not and issue stuffing it all back into the SuperTrapp. And the Exhaust now sounds MUCH MORE less raucous.... she still moans... but not like she was in a bit of pain... more of a pleasurable moan... if you could define it as such.

Am sort of wishing that I had opted for the longer SuperTrapp... seeing how much was burned away in this short time.... maybe it doesn't matter but repacking a Predator is a must with a Carpentered engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back