JohnnyCanuck

Supercharged
Alright, I'm sure this is a stupid question but I've been reefing at a nut inside the rear wheel well and don't want to strip it. I bought a standard Rocket III with OEM Triumph saddlebags attached. How does one remove these? Is it simply the 2 nuts inside the rear wheel well that have to be loosened? Thanks in advance.

yea like Scot said, remove the chrome thingie,
take the nuts out from OUTSIDE the wheelwell.
That nut you're trying to back off is welded.
IF that's indeed what you're referring to.

The saddle bags themselves are mounted to saddlebag bracketry with socket head cap screws that easily strip out. I think there are six screws. Once those are out, the bags can be removed from the saddle bag hangers. The brackets themselves are fastened to the frame with two different sized socket head cap screws. There's a link to the installation documentation on the defunct .com site.

Yup,

Open the saddlebags, remove screws connecting bags to the brackets.

Then remove the BOLTS connecting the brackets to the frame. The nuts inside the fender are welded. You'll notice the bolts are longer than you need for just the fender rails, so you might have to head out and find some new bolts, from Triumph, or otherwise. I did. If your bike came with sissy bar, luggage rack, you'll soon find it has different chrome rails than the bike came with stock.

Thanks for the sage advice folks. Just finished removing the saddlebags. The bolts for the saddlebags are black and longer than required so I've simply refastened them until I can get the proper chrome bolts from Triumph or elsewhere. First nice sunny weekend in quite some time up here - I have my insurance back on and am ready to finally ride!

Be carefull if you have screwed the long bolts in they can foul on the rear tyre when the suspention is compressed and could wear a groove right through your tyre.

Back