Removing the secondaries on a stock rocket

Ugarte

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I have the stock intake and exhaust. Will I need to download a new tune if I remove the secondaries, keeping everything else stock?

I wish I had removed them when I had the throttle bodies off to change out the oil tank O rings, getting that effin intake system back in was a royal pain. Which brings up the next issue.

To make it easier to put things back together I sprayed silicon lubricant on the all the rubber and plastic parts, this helped a lot but I know there must have been a fair amount of residual remaining in the intake system. After getting things back together the bike ran very rough. When I first started it I had the seat off, so I figured maybe it is getting too much air. Put the seat on and this helped a lot and eventually the bike ran as it did before I did the work. However, today when I test rode it the acceleration was erratic, and it behaved as if there was water in the fuel. I only rode it around the block because I did not want to be left stranded. The bike sat for a month from the time I first took off the oil tank to the time I started it again last sunday.

I am wondering if moisture collected in the fuel tank during the month long down time, and if residual silicon lubricant in the intake are the culprits. In any case when I get a chance again I am going to take back it around the block several times to try and get all that stuff out and at least eliminate that potential cause.

When I get the money I am getting rid of the stock intake (what a bunch of garbage) and going with the triple filters. I would do it now but from what I have read I will need new exhaust and a pcIII or tuneboy also and looking at about 1500 bucks for the whole enchilada.

Last edited:
I would say closer to $1000 or less if you do the work yourself, buy the Tuneboy during a group buy and get the filters from flipmeister.com. I was able to find a set of TORS used from another .net member, so I was able to safe there also. Sounds to me like the silicone may have something to do with it. I would run it for a while and see what happens. :)

12 minute tune should be good enough with stock intake and exhaust after removing the secondaries.

By chance did you move the primary tps when you had the throttle bodies off? You may need to have the dealer adjust it, or do it with tuneboy or following Tom's steps here:

You would really have to be heavy on the silicon for it to cause any problems. Maybe some on the MAP sensors?

12 minute tune should be good enough with stock intake and exhaust after removing the secondaries.

By chance did you move the primary tps when you had the throttle bodies off? You may need to have the dealer adjust it, or do it with tuneboy or following Tom's steps here:

You would really have to be heavy on the silicon for it to cause any problems. Maybe some on the MAP sensors?

Did not remove either TPS, just unplugged them. I suppose I could have accidentally moved it....would that be rotated it? I did however, use dielectric grease when I plugged them back in.

Are the MAP sensors the three plugs that go into the top of the throttle body assembly? I did put a little silicon on the outer portion of all the plugs but I guess some could have gotten inside. The MAP sensor plug also got dielectric grease.

I was heavy on the silicon. Next time I will just put some on my finger and rub it on instead of spraying it.

I am going to ride it around some more, if I cannot get it to run properly I will get a tuneboy since I will need it anyway, or the pc3, to do the other mods.

If you have the stock seat, rip the snorkel out. If you remove the secondaries, the fuel supply will be restricted to whatever percentages are in the secondaries table in the tune loaded in your ECU - in other words, you could wind up too lean.

It always amazed me that Triumph expected a 2300cc engine with pistons the size of quart coffee cans to suck air through a hole under the seat not much bigger than a squashed beer can. And thats after pulling it backwards from under the seat with the inlets exactly where you would expect the most aerodynamic low pressure zone to be located, right under your ars.

Then try to do it at 5500rpm and 130+mph .... good luck! lol :p

Think of it that way, then consider K&N triples again.:rolleyes:

If you have the stock seat, rip the snorkel out. If you remove the secondaries, the fuel supply will be restricted to whatever percentages are in the secondaries table in the tune loaded in your ECU - in other words, you could wind up too lean.

I have decided just go with the whole enchilada, out with secondaries, in with the triples, the tuneboy, and the cat bypass, maybe pipes too. First the tuneboy to see WTF is wrong with the bike now, then get it going good stock again, then rip it apart for the new mods.

Appreciate the info Pigr, Ugart has piked my interest in the next mod I will make after the 30,000 check up. I have noticed the delay and want to eliminate it. Still happy with the power but the new front tire and saving for the trip in May has this fixed incomer done.:(

Welcome back Baggage1, haven't heard from you in awhile. Sorry we didn't get to hook up in December, Daryl made up for it though. Sounds like you are putting on the miles, enjoy.

Dennis

74 dtg Kuwait
75 dtg Home

Baggage1,
I think after you pull the secondaries out and you see, and feel the difference,
you'll want the GiPro too.:D
Careful though, next thing you know, you'll want a car tire to hook up with;)

Back