Removing the &*(^&%^!@ seat

HiTiredImJ

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Rocket III
So apparently this is a difficult thing? The old threads I found are all missing their pictures. Something about a pull tab that well meaning service people tuck under the seat rather than leave out?

I've had the bike for maybe three months after buying it from the original owner. Wonderful guy, kept it in perfect condition save for a small ding on the top of the tank, did a great stage 1 with Maddog pipes and a K&N filter, Corbin'd it out, and kept a fresh set of Metzeler on her. Sadly, however, he was afflicted with PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome). My beast had less than seven thousand miles on her, a number I'm more than halfway to doubling. I pretty much quit riding my Harley and went on an exclusive diet of Triumph highway/squiggly-back-road miles. This bike has become my daily commuter (love the huge bags) and my weekend ride (love the jaw dropping effect the bike has on people). Everything has been great, until...

I came out last week and she wouldn't start. The gauges did most of their boot up routine before everything went dead; gauges stuck halfway, no juice coming the headlights. I pulled the trickle charger off my Daytona and put it onto the Rocket. After a day and a half, the charger goes green, indicating a full charge. Awesome. Unhook everything, gear up, jump on, and... same problem. Trickle charger shows an empty battery again. I try it one more time just to make sure, and two days later, yup, my battery has **** the bed.

No problem, I think, I'll just get a new battery. Cue my surprise finding how freak'n expensive motorcycle batteries are. I go about trying to take the seat off, and can't find a **** thing that looks like it will let me take it off. My Harley has a big ass ugly bolt that I unscrew and the seat slides off; my Daytona has a key slot I turn to remove the seat and get to my pitiful "storage"; my Rocket has... a really nice seat with no visible anything, anywhere.

Help?

Tech Specs: 2005 Rocket III, Corbin "Classic Solo" seat with backrest, stock passenger pillion, Corbin Beetle bags

Take a deep breath, seat is very easy to remove, on my 2011 Roadster there is a key hole / slot in the right cover on right side of bike , use your ignition key to open it. Hope this helps and works on your bike

Ok so I hope this will help you as I remember the first time I tried to take mine off and I knew where the key was. it is in the lower right side cover.

P8250007.JPG

So my problem was I could not turn the key. But the answer is you push down on the seat and then turn the key. it takes pressure off the locking mechanism.

P8250006.JPG

Now there are a couple different seat styles the dual touring style that started on the Classic models.

P2100005.JPG

with or without backrest does not matter.
Here is a shot of the bottom and latching devices.

Dual Seat latches.jpg

Here is the dual/single which mostly came on the Standards like yours

P8250004.JPG

It has only one latch controlled by the key the pillon is bolted to the rear frame. You can go single or two up with this seat.

Single seat latch.jpg

Now pushing the seat down when turning the key not only takes pressure off the latch (below closed and locked)

P2250011.JPG

Below open with key turned

P2250012.JPG

The key is pushing down takes the pressure off and stops the oh ***wit I just broke my key!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps any other questions ask away.

Ok so I hope this will help you as I remember the first time I tried to take mine off and I knew where the key was.

I can't believe I didn't see that keyhole. I even have another triumph that uses the same turn key to release the pin holding the seat on system! I blame the bags for being beautiful and in the way...

Anyway, seat came off, I discovered the tool set, pulled the battery (wow those tools were handy; I didn't even have to go back inside for a screwdriver!) and hopped over to AutoZone or one of the other chain stores. I opted for a gel battery because I wanted to ride my bike immediately rather than wait three days for my trickle charger to charge that baby all the way.

Thanks to your help, I can put the Harley back and get back on my favorite bike!

In conclusion, you're a wonderful human being and a credit to R3 owners. (Loosely paraphrased quote from Woody Allan's Scoop.)

Make sure you do not twist the key with too much force. I rotate the key with minimal force and then hit the back of the seat until the key can turn the full 90 degrees.

Make sure you do not twist the key with too much force. I rotate the key with minimal force and then hit the back of the seat until the key can turn the full 90 degrees.

AAARGH...My key only turned 45 degrees and I pulled the ring and the seat half released(I can raise the rear of the seat maybe 1/2 inch) and I can not reseat the seat!

Funny thing is I even read the manual first!

Any ideas...Do not want to snap the only key I have off!

Thanks guys!

Greg in SC

Attachments

• 1-Rocket1.jpg
    1-Rocket1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 1-Rocket1.jpg
    1-Rocket1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 29
Take a deep breath, seat is very easy to remove, on my 2011 Roadster there is a key hole / slot in the right cover on right side of bike , use your ignition key to open it. Hope this helps and works on your bike
YES its very simple and lube the mechanism with some vaseline and Lockease

Back