Removing the Evaporative Canister?

Rocket3Pilot

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket III Roadster
I just removed my evaporative canister from underneath the left side cover (2013 roadster) in order to install the highly recommended 32800-31J00 R/R.

Since there were 3 vacuum type hoses going into the canister I used a "T" to connect them all together? BTW the canister has HONDA stamped on the side?

Now the start up idle is pretty rough and unstable but the bike runs fine once it's warm?

Just acts like it's gonna stall out sometimes at a stop light?

I can't find much explanation of this system in the shop manual, just a schematic.

Any ideas before I start experimenting?

WOW!
When I removed mine there was no change whatsoever.
I forget exactly how I did it or I would explain so you'd have a comparison.
Someone smarter than I will chime in . . .

So, after comparing the schematic for the bikes with emission stuff and the ones prior, I deduced that one is simply a vent to the gas tank and should not be coupled to the other two which are vacuum?
I went out and changed it accordingly and the bike started right up and purred normally. 1100 rpm for a few seconds and then steps down to 900 rpm.

Now I'm really curious why they're all connected to the canister and what the chambers might look like inside?

Thanks for the inputs.

Is the idea that all fumes from fuel and engine oil are condensed and evaporated fumes from there are filtered through charcoal en-route to atmosphere?

So, after comparing the schematic for the bikes with emission stuff and the ones prior, I deduced that one is simply a vent to the gas tank and should not be coupled to the other two which are vacuum?
I went out and changed it accordingly and the bike started right up and purred normally. 1100 rpm for a few seconds and then steps down to 900 rpm.

Now I'm really curious why they're all connected to the canister and what the chambers might look like inside?

Thanks for the inputs.
Cut it open and have a peek

Is the idea that all fumes from fuel and engine oil are condensed and evaporated fumes from there are filtered through charcoal en-route to atmosphere?

I think that's all it is? I popped the little hat off the one end and found a small diaphragm valve which confirmed my second assumption. 2 hoses are vacuum lines that control the valve the other is simply a vent line to the gas tank. hooking them all together made my gas tank un-vented and changed all the dynamics inside it for the fuel pump to draw and the return line to dump.

IMG_2302.jpg
IMG_2303.jpg

Ah! So it's not charcoal but a paper cartridge. The vent from the gas tank goes to the center core of the cartridge and the other 2 vacuum lines that are attached to the top of the little hat control and remove the vapors by sucking them back into the throttle bodies.

I know this might have been obvious to most on here but just in case your considering the preventative
32800-31J00 R/R replacement it really is about the easiest mod you could do besides changing a light bulb.:rolleyes:

And for my money ($130),
IMG_2304.jpg
just great assurance that I'm not taxing the stator.

I just removed my evaporative canister from underneath the left side cover (2013 roadster) in order to install the highly recommended 32800-31J00 R/R.

Since there were 3 vacuum type hoses going into the canister I used a "T" to connect them all together? BTW the canister has HONDA stamped on the side?

Now the start up idle is pretty rough and unstable but the bike runs fine once it's warm?

Just acts like it's gonna stall out sometimes at a stop light?

I can't find much explanation of this system in the shop manual, just a schematic.

Any ideas before I start experimenting?

Please explain what is the highly recommended replacement part in English?

Back