Removing Secondary Butterfliesin

Rick McC.

Turbocharged
Ride
Phantom Black 2012 Rocket III Roadster
My R3R will be getting it's 5K mile service in a couple hundred miles.

I stopped by the dealership yesterday to discuss having TORS installed while it was in for service, along with a tune that de-restricts the first three gears that a former salesman told me accompanied the Tors.

They didn't know anything about such a tune, but as we discussed it, their mechanic advised me that he could easily remove the secondary butterflies.

I said that sounded a little too easy, and wanted to check with the enlightened members here, as I haven't seen it discussed much at all, and, if it were that simple, it would seem like more folks would be doing it.

Your thoughts please?

Thanks,

Removing the secondaries is easy to do, but not required. When the dealer installs the TOR pipes they should load an OEM Triumph tune for them. This is different to the stock tune in that it is a little richer. However, it doesn't remove the restrictions in the first three gears.

However, that is easy to do with TuneECU. When you get the bike home, use TuneECU to read the tune, then save that tuning file. Then edit the tune to open the secondaries 100% in all gears and at all throttle positions - then save that tune with a different name. Then load that tune into the bike. All is done.

Another alternative is to get a better tune off one of the chaps on this site and load that into your bike. Make sure you specify the model and year of your bike, as well as which air filters and exhaust you are using if you are requesting a tune.

Last edited:
Removing the secondaries is easy to do, but not required. When the dealer installs the TOR pipes they should load an OEM Triumph tune for them. This is different to the stock tune in that it is a little richer. However, it doesn't remove the restrictions in the first three gears.

However, that is easy to do with TuneECU. When you get the bike home, use TuneECU to read the tune, then save that tuning file. Then edit the tune to open the secondaries 100% in all gears and at all throttle positions - then save that tune with a different name. Then load that tune into the bike. All is done.

Another alternative is to get a better tune off one of the chaps on this site and load that into your bike. Make sure you specify the model and year of your bike, as well as which air filters and exhaust you are using if you are requesting a tune.

But doesn't the secondary butterfly removal in effect do away with the restrictions in all gears?

I believe (but I could be wrong) that the GiPro removes the restrictions by making the bike's ECU think that it is in 4th gear whenever it is not in neutral. This is similar to the old "resistor" mod. However, the restrictions can easily be removed using TuneECU or TuneBoy with a click or two of the mouse.

I have one of those gig pro thingies on the Rocket I just bought. I will have to find some instructions to see if it is set up for just gear indications or if the atre is active. Hopefully not. Now as a gear indicator its ok and only reads when the clutch is not pulled in so sometimes it takes a bit to tell you what gear your in. All and all its a bout as useful as a knt full of cold water !!! ( I would say crushed ice but then in theory you can stuff a tall boy in one and bam they are useful)

Back