Removing/replacing rear wheel warning!

Battersea

Turbocharged
This is a warning not to damage this part (#2 below) on your final drive unit. They are not available as a replacement and only way to get hold of one is to buy a used or new final drive :mad:.

This part is made of plastic and bolted to the main casting by four bolts, it would take less than ten minutes to replace, if only you could get hold of one.

They have a fault line (well mine did) running across from where the injection moulding sprue is. When removing or replacing the wheel- if you are unfortunate enough to catch it just where the fault line is (as I did) they snap right through.

Had to try and repair mine - not sure how successful it will be but as sure as hell I wont be paying for a new drive unit (£1800+) just to get a £10 part. Have told Triumph its unacceptable to not make such a vulnerable part available when it is in essence just a dust cover.

Their excuse was that the unit is bought in as a complete item and no separate parts are held in stock :mad:. If thats the case how come you can get the level and drain plugs? :confused:

And if the shop lets their youngest goofball change out the tire he can nick it so that it goes "scrape-scrape-scrape" while riding it home. That happened to me but I fixed it with a slight trim with a razor blade. That's why I did the removal myself this last time and carried the wheel in. If you carry it in be sure to hold onto the spacer before dropping it off, they lost mine and I had to search around the tire machine for it.

It's something every time I let anyone do any work at all, careless!!!!!

Thanks for the info,crazy system from Triumph,see my thread in this section titled heat shield.

Try one of these, expensive for what it is but cheaper than the alternative :- Triumph Rocket III Differential Ring

That might be the answer especially if you siliconed it to the original ;). Mind you £95 is very expensive for what it is :eek: - but as you say - cheaper than the alternative.

And if the shop lets their youngest goofball change out the tire he can nick it so that it goes "scrape-scrape-scrape" while riding it home. That happened to me but I fixed it with a slight trim with a razor blade. That's why I did the removal myself this last time and carried the wheel in. If you carry it in be sure to hold onto the spacer before dropping it off, they lost mine and I had to search around the tire machine for it.

It's something every time I let anyone do any work at all, careless!!!!!

I have to admit it was lack of attention on my part but, in my defence, it was the first time removal/refit of the wheel, its bloody awkward, the clearances are fairly tight and the wheel is heavy to manhandle - it was over in a split second and easily done.

When complaining to the Triumph factory about the part not being available their response was that they have never had a request to supply this part before - yer right, what a load of nonsense. :mad:

Not sure why Triumph can't sell individual parts without selling an entire assembly. I was hearing noises in mine and took it to the shop and they opened up the driveshaft housing and the driveshaft was rusty and dry as could be. Along with a new driveshaft and U-joint, they needed to order the yoke that the rear of the driveshaft fits into because the rust had worn the teeth down on it. Even though the yoke is a separate piece, Triumph will only sell the entire final drive - for $2700. I couldn't afford that, so we greased it up good, but even after $1200 in repairs, the noise is still there, just somewhat diminshed. Not sure why Triumph can't support us better and according to the shop, they are getting harder to work with all the time. So now it's just sitting because I don't know how long that yoke is going to last. I love my R3 but I don't like Triumph very much at all.

Back