Removing Oil Tank

I'd love to hear an easy way to do that as well ... Had planned to send off the tins this winter but if the tank isn't too much of a pain to remove, that would be a bonus.

Yes the throttle bodies have to come off but it is no big deal, just give yourself a lot of time and don't try to rush it. The main thing is to keep track of all the electrical connections you have to disconnect, and especially the MAP sensor hoses. I forgot to reconnect one of the MAP hoses and the bike ran like crap I thought I had totally effed it up. It is a lot easier to work if you disconnect the rear fuel tank bolt and and turn the tank sideways and rest it on the area where the seat was removed, with padding of course. This way you can leave the fuel hose and electrical connection attached to the fuel tank.

You will need to replace the oil tank "O" rings so get those before you start the project.

All it takes is a crescent wremch, pair of vicegrips and a ball-peen hammer. The hammer is if it don't come apart or go together quite right. It's for 'adjustment'.:D

Not that hard really. Mine were leaking and I replaced them and I'm no wrench spinner. Besides, it gives you access to all the crud accumulated behind the tank so you can clean it.

I would suggest Caterpillar 'o' rings. You can take the old ones to a truck dealer, they will have the Cat rings in stock, about 50 cents eash, pretty yellow and much better than the OEM stuff.

....don't forget to drain the oil first....

easy job remove tank as discribed above or take it completly off for safety (no droppie on the floor) Hang throttle bodies from handle bars know need to take cables off. all electrical connections will be easy to line back up. one plus for each as stated above map sensor hoses a must to keep track of for re.installation two bracket bolts one below the TPS sensor one behind thratle cables. Water temp sensor by the front of the throttle boddies. two tank bolts and tank breather hose. Clean as Flipp said. and re assemble. I believe if you have triple filters it will be even easier as you do not have the plastic air duct crap in your way. When installing make sure throttle bodes are set firmly back down in the rubber manifold and secure hose clamps. Save your money take your time good winter project.
B\the shop manual lays it out well also.

And guys from Scotland don't even have to do that, they just lift their skirt...er, I mean kilt and do that.

Dennis

63 dtg Dubai
64 dtg London

161 dtg Dubai
162 dtg Home (Stallion and Triumph ordering/buying time)

And guys from Scotland don't even have to do that, they just lift their skirt...er, I mean kilt and do that.

Dennis

63 dtg Dubai
64 dtg London

161 dtg Dubai
162 dtg Home (Stallion and Triumph ordering/buying time)
You would be surprised at how many of us are kilted. There is a reason we are smiling when "kilted".

Kilt check

Back