Removing melted plastic from exhaust pipe

technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
No offence to my wife but she has the worst luck... She melted a small portion of a shopping bag on her exhaust and I would like some recommendations on removing it.

I was thinking some nail polish remover (acetone) would do the trick but I am not sure what affect it would have on the chrome pipe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Super fine steel wool, (0000) and brasso or any other type of chrome liquid cleaner applied on the steel wool and rubbed on has worked for in the past to get rubber from boots off. I imagine it would work with plastic as well.

I've found Naptha to be great at removing all sorts of crap from any part of my bikes--easy to find at paint stores (like Sherwin Williams) and lasts a really long time. Super for cleaning wheels, too.

I have used just a plain piece of hard wood with sharp corners similar to a paint stirrer...just scrape the plastic with the edge of the wood(cold pipes)and finish the small debri with chrome polish.

A sharp razor blade worked for me, I just used it like I was scraping paint from glass and it came right off without so much as a scratch.

Anything non-abrasive short of acid will work. I vote for oven cleaner too.

My wife melted her boot heel on my exhaust and I used laquer thinner.

I too have heard that oven cleaner works well, though I have never used it. A lot of people swear by it.

This sounds nuts, but when I melted some boot on my Speedmaster pipe many years ago I waited 'til the pipe got nice and hot then wiped it of with an old cotton T-shirt!

Back