Removing final drive housing

laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
My final drive housing is looking shabby so I thought I'd get it powder coated over the winter (along with a few other bits).

Is it an easy job to remove? any tips or short cuts very welcome.

Thanks guys

My final drive housing is looking shabby so I thought I'd get it powder coated over the winter (along with a few other bits).

Is it an easy job to remove? any tips or short cuts very welcome.

Thanks guys

It's not really designed to be taken apart. Powder coating is baked at approx. 200c . The seals would probably succumb to such temps. You could paint it with one of the two part catalytic enamel paints. Those can be air dried, or baked at around 65c to speed up curing. I have an old kitchen oven I use.

It's not really designed to be taken apart. Powder coating is baked at approx. 200c . The seals would probably succumb to such temps. You could paint it with one of the two part catalytic enamel paints. Those can be air dried, or baked at around 65c to speed up curing. I have an old kitchen oven I use.
Fred you have lost your man card:eek::eek::eek::eek: I have a new oven that I use(when the wife is not home):whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

Ah, thanks for that. I'm guessing the seals would prevent sand blasting prior to painting it?

I took to hammerite-ing it (albeit the smooth variety) when I had the rear shocks off mine. Made it a bit tidier.

Back