Removing chrome and painting black

Scotty

Supercharged
What are you painting?
Their is no need to remove the chrome you just need to flat it down with a fairly coarse grit rubbing paper to gave the primer something to key on too, an etch primer would be best, and then put whatever finish you decide on top of the primer...The best paint is a two pack paint. If you ask at the paint suppliers they should be able to tell you, or just pop into a local body shop and ask for a bit of advice.

Glad you brought this up...I'm going dark also...my graphite 06 beast will have a generous change to "dark black" with some touches of the graphite underneath..some of the captains are getting pretty creative and I'm just going to borrow and embelish some of the ideas to my taste...yesterdays piece about the crappy thin triumph chrome and the radiator shroud is just "chrome paint" anyway helped me with this question....just rough it up and paint to your liking...

I know you say your doing it at home but my local powdercoater charged me £60 to powder coat two wheels and a handle bar. I thought that was cheap - and it was a fantastic finish.

I dont think you will get a good finish by painting - get a cost from your local powdercoater and see if you can afford it.

What are you guys going to do about the forks and triple tree? I am leaning toward powder coating, but disassembely looks like a pain.

RikRoket said:
What are you guys going to do about the forks and triple tree? I am leaning toward powder coating, but disassembely looks like a pain.
You powder coat those forks and get them back together without scratching the coating, you deserve a medal. Its to thick mate, aint gonna happen :wink:
You could possibly powder coat the trees, and ask Busajack what he did with the forks, what he did their is a very good idea :wink:

I saw what he did and it is good, just not what I am looking for. Painting is the way to go for me I guess.

Back