Removing baffles from stock exhaust

freebmwforyou

Standard Bore
I have a 2013 R3R, which I removed both baffles from. I was asked to post how I did it.

Here is how I went about removing the 2 baffles and it was rather easy.

1) Using a 2-1/4" bi-metal hole saw bit, you drill out the rear baffle. It will pull right out when you get through.
2)Using a 2" bi-metal hole saw bit, you will drill out the internal or second baffle. This one take a little more time, but isn't too bad.
3) Once you are through the second baffle, it will be held back by a welded flange. Using a chisel and hammer break through the flange and fold over the individual bends. Once you create enough space you can pull out the second baffle.

Now you are just left with the catalytic converter, which I haven't figured out how to remove yet.

I am open to any suggestions. I am about ready to start drilling into it with a long bit.

Sincerely, Brandon

I have the TORs exhaust on my Roadster but have a pair of the standard exhaust with CATS in which I could open up even further than the TORs. *big evil laugh*

Yes pictures sure would be nice.... :D

Yeh .. never seen a 3 foot long drill bit :eek:

I'll have to bring it home from work. A friend made it for me and I have it back because he is good about keeping up with tools, unlike me. :mad:
He welded an all thread to the bit and straightened it out in the lathe.

DRMD did you need to retune after removing baffles and opening Cat? I don't have a clue on how to retune and am unwilling to do the work of getting the info in my head at present. Also did the removal cause a loss of gas mileage?

I am presently getting anywhere from 30 to 50 mpg depending on how fast I ride, and I don't want mileage to drop. I got the 50mpg on trip that I kept the bike between 40-60 mph on back roads. I have owned the bike less than a month and have put 1200 miles on it. I got over 40mpg on probably 5 fill ups. I am averaging probably 38mpg. I have greatly reduced my speed in my old age, though I do open it up to 120mph every now and then just to see what it will do, and I take off fast every now and then just for the thrill. The main factor for me in riding slow is my wallet and at times in nice country side it is relaxing to take it slow and look at God's beautiful creation.

Back