Removed lower deflectors - ok, or?

JRCollings

.040 Over
Ok, so summer is a coming in Arizona, so I removed the lower wind deflectors from my forks, but left my Clearview on in an attempt to get some airflow whilst retaining the benefit of a screen....

I took it for a quick 30 mile test ride - I was AMAZED at the amount of difference it made....

So, my question is this - Any of you done this / advise against it and why? So far as I can tell apart from the buffeting / air flow it has not effected anything, but I have a long group ride coming up on Saturday, so....

Comments, experiences, advice please gents! :)

Leave them off; won't be any different than what you've already experienced on your short ride.

Btw, what do you consider a "long" group ride (100, 200, 300 miles)?

My bike was basically unrideable on long trips before Triumph designed the lowers. I also have the clearview. But, the ticket was when I bought one with the air vent. Just enough breeze on the face to keep me cool. 'course I'm not in AZ. But it gets really hot and humid in the DC area. I was going to sell the bike right before the lowers came out.
Put them back on before the long trip. The turbulance is coming from under the windshield.

For the last two years I've removed the lowers from my R3T as soon as the temps go over 90. It not only improves airflow, it drops the intake air temp by about 30 degrees. The later only applies to triple filter setups.

"My bike was basically unrideable on long trips before Triumph designed the lowers."

You HAVE to be kidding.

OMG, there's wind hitting me! :eek:

Buy a car. :p

QUOTE=RocketDaryl;76691]"My bike was basically unrideable on long trips before Triumph designed the lowers."

Buy a car. :p[/QUOTE]

Oh I forgot. You ride your bike on an orange crate! Tee hee.
It's a safety issue. I couldn't even read the road signs. Those that think they are bad asses usually are not. Those who don't act like bad asses usually are.
You never really know until you poke a stick in the wrong eye.
But, I really enjoy your comebacks! I'm just joking around tough guy!

It's not orange! It's Coca-cola red!

I'm just joshing with you, dude. I use a windshield on trips (Tiger with stock shield). I just cracked up at the "unrideable" comment due to the lower deflectors being removed.

And yes, I'm a badass. I'll send you a pic of me in my Paul Stanley signature jumpsuit if you don't believe me; all 150 lbs (soaking wet) of my badass self. :p

RocketDaryl: In this case 'long ride' is referring to the amount of time - probably only a 200 miles or so, but will take all day with stops / slow pace - going out with a group of hardly ablesons.... Normally I consider a 4-500 mile day as a fairly long one - I leave 1000 mile days to youngsters and nutcases! ;)

Well again, if you did fine on your short trip without the deflectors, I can't imagine you not being fine on a longer trip. You still have the shield to break the wind off of your chest and head area. If that doesn't work, invite Molinoman to go with you. He breaks the wind with or without the shield; eats a lot of chili dogs. ;)

Back