Remove Top Triple Tree (Rivco Risers)

Devildawg

.020 Over
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT, formerly2017 Rocket III Roadster
Hey! I am trying to put risers on a 17 Roadster. The brake cable is routed through the front and needs to be behind the top triple tree. I would prefer to not disconnect the brake line. Is pulling the top triple tree off a viable option (so the brake does not have to be disconnected), if it is, can anyone explain how it is done? Thanks in advance. I have learned a ton from this group. I appreciate the knowledge we have on here.

20200318_181806.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can ! Simply undo the top tree centre nut and loosen the hex bolts clamping the tree to the forks . Should pop right off ? Make sure it is properly seated back down and tighten the centre nut back down before the hex bolts clamping it to the fork tubes . This should give you enough extra on the brake hose , but bear in mind there is a sag on the forks , so fully extended the line may possibly still be tight ? Check this by lifting the front wheel off the ground to make sure nothing is being stressed !

Going to be tackling this task on Saturday along with Exhaust upgrade (TORS) 3 into 2 and the RAM AIR install .
I will most likely be replacing the brake fluid as well. It's original on a 2005 Rocket III with 3.5K miles.

Hi, I did that a few weeks ago - lifted the top triple tree, rerouted the lines (had to unplug the throttle lines but did that at the throttle grip), remounted everything and now it's just dandy. Didn't want to unhook the brake line either.

Go ahead, if you've got the bike lifted and something underneath the front wheel everything will be fine

Going to be tackling this task on Saturday along with Exhaust upgrade (TORS) 3 into 2 and the RAM AIR install .
I will most likely be replacing the brake fluid as well. It's original on a 2005 Rocket III with 3.5K miles.
If changing brake fluid ? rather than drain and start again , bleed thru and keep topping up with fresh until the fresh fluid starts bleeding out . Rocket brakes can be a pita to bleed from empty !

The brake line has to go behind the top triple tree. Cover the tank with at least two towels. Undo the banjo from the brake lever. Plug it or cover it. Work it through the back of the triple tree. If it leaks and your brakes get mushy you will have to flush that air out. I would get a large syringe and push brake fluid from a front caliper. You are going to have to loosen the reservoir cap. When you push, be gentle. You don't want brake fluid allover the place, specially paint. Air wants to float in fluid so any bubbles should be at the top and work themselves into the reservoir.

IMG_0442.JPG

Back