Reference library or Factory/aftermarket parts list?

thorin

Owner of Goliath, the giant motorcycle
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
hey all,
some time ago i ruminated about the need for the ability of a member to save or archive specific posts that may be of interest to him/her. while there was some favorable responses to the idea, there hasn't been any traction.
we all see newbies as well as long time members asking about a replacement part (aftermarket or factory) that was cussed and discussed in previous threads.
i personally (and many of you) have searched posts regarding a certain subject only to find many have been hijacked or have no resolution.
what i'm asking is this....
is there interest in assembling a "master list" or "reference library" where anyone can go to see a list of recommended parts for our bikes?
in other words, if i'm looking to upgrade my rear suspension, it would be great to go to 1 spot and see the half dozen or so shock replacement recommendations.
if i want to add led bulbs, there's the list of bulbs that others have had success with.
same thing with seats, handgrips, tires, oil, etc.
all parts, all suggestions in 1 place, updated as appropriate.
i'm not talking about a ranking and i'm not talking about this guy says these are better than those.
i'm talking about a generic list, no opinions offered, of what fits the bike.
after seeing the list, a fellow can then dive deeper into a forum search to better understand the plus/minuses of that part.
i don't even know if this type of thing is possible but it would sure be easier to direct someone to that list than field the numerous questions posted weekly on this part or that.
as a victim of recent searches regarding shocks and led lighting, i felt compelled to bring this up.
what do you think?

hey all,
some time ago i ruminated about the need for the ability of a member to save or archive specific posts that may be of interest to him/her. while there was some favorable responses to the idea, there hasn't been any traction.
we all see newbies as well as long time members asking about a replacement part (aftermarket or factory) that was cussed and discussed in previous threads.
i personally (and many of you) have searched posts regarding a certain subject only to find many have been hijacked or have no resolution.
what i'm asking is this....
is there interest in assembling a "master list" or "reference library" where anyone can go to see a list of recommended parts for our bikes?
in other words, if i'm looking to upgrade my rear suspension, it would be great to go to 1 spot and see the half dozen or so shock replacement recommendations.
if i want to add led bulbs, there's the list of bulbs that others have had success with.
same thing with seats, handgrips, tires, oil, etc.
all parts, all suggestions in 1 place, updated as appropriate.
i'm not talking about a ranking and i'm not talking about this guy says these are better than those.
i'm talking about a generic list, no opinions offered, of what fits the bike.
after seeing the list, a fellow can then dive deeper into a forum search to better understand the plus/minuses of that part.
i don't even know if this type of thing is possible but it would sure be easier to direct someone to that list than field the numerous questions posted weekly on this part or that.
as a victim of recent searches regarding shocks and led lighting, i felt compelled to bring this up.
what do you think?

It’s a good idea albeit it sounds like work for someone. It would be very handy though to have a list of our friends recommendations. I’d trust this in a heartbeat over any advertising claims.

Here's the issue. It has to be kept up to date. And FORUMS are fickle beasts that are more about immediacy than being a DataBase.

I can think of stuff I have commented on in the past that is no longer available. Or products updated to amend perceived shortcomings that may actually do more harm than good. .

Changes in technologies (LED bulbs is a classic example of how these things change). That or Progressive 440 shocks.

I have seen other forums attempt this - AND FAIL. To the point of the poor admin folk being accused of being lazy or on somebodies payroll.

In today's online immediate world. Just ask. You'll get a shed loads of relies - base research on that.

I've started my own library. As I read posts and find an interesting topic, part, fix, etc, I log it, either by copying the text, or bookmarking the thread. I then organize into sections., If important to me I may put the note in the appropriate spot in the manuel.

Hope this helps,

Hoopla

Back