Reband pipe ceramic coating?

norseman

Supercharged
Ride
2013 (early year) Roadster
EDIT: to anyone reading this- Ric makes an excellent product and holds his work to a high standard. I am very happy with my Reband exhaust, but it looks like the powder coating has some flaws. I still HIGHLY recommend the system and would buy it again.

I got my new Reband exhaust installed almost 2 weeks ago. Immediately I noticed that the ceramic coating was bubbled and flaking off at the Heat Shield mount points. They started rusting immediately, as did several other spots along the muffler and at welds.

I've had to sand off the rust and put on oven paint until this winter when I can completely recoat the whole system inside and out... at no small expense.

I'm super happy with the pipes' shape and sound, as well as the massive reduction in weight and increased power (no dyno yet, trying to get all my other crap sorted out first).

Has anybody else had trouble with the coating on their Rebands? I may have just got "lucky". Seems like I'm getting a lot of this kind of luck these days... you know the disappointing expensive kind... humm.

That sucks norseman.
Have you contacted Ric?
Send him some photos I'm sure he will want to get to the bottom of the problem.
Sucks that you are 1000's klm away too.:mad:
I would like to think he would help out somehow cos I am sure he would want to continue selling his pipes internationally.

Yeah I sent him an email. Actually I realized after posting this that it might be bad press for them. I want to stress to anyone who reads this thread RIC AND REBAND HAVE VERY HIGH STANDARDS OF QUALITY! I think maybe whomever does their powder coat had the new kid do my pipe or something.

Anyway I sent an email but mostly to let them know to keep an eye on their powder coater.

I am glad to hear your pipes are fine... though I'm still pretty bummed out about mine. They are GORGEOUS and sound like hell, just wish they had as nice a coat as yours :(

mate, i've spoken to ric about the quality of his ceramic coating. unfortunately it aint ric that does it.

i wasnt thrilled with mine and have reported the fact that the coating was definitely sub standard in my view.

I think he needs to hear it from others if they find the same problem.

not longer an issue for me as I have had mine recoated as I dont except second best.

please do let ric know its not just me being too particular.

Good to know Ponters!

The email is sent. I'm doing a lot of other paint and recoating this winter so this will just get added to the bill, but what a pain.

For now I'm going to leave it on the bike and mask off behind it, just spray it all down with the oven paint and hope that protects it until I can get it done proper.

I'm with you man, I'm not happy with "good enough". That's why I'm getting custom heat shields fabricated too... because my baby doesn't look good in carbon fiber ;)

Good to know Ponters!

The email is sent. I'm doing a lot of other paint and recoating this winter so this will just get added to the bill, but what a pain.

For now I'm going to leave it on the bike and mask off behind it, just spray it all down with the oven paint and hope that protects it until I can get it done proper.

I'm with you man, I'm not happy with "good enough". That's why I'm getting custom heat shields fabricated too... because my baby doesn't look good in carbon fiber ;)

i hear you mate...im doing the same as we're in winter. my weekends are about skiing at the moment so BB is off getting some cosmetic surgery and redoing the pipes is part of it. i wrapped mine to protect them through summer and autumn.

EDIT: to anyone reading this- Ric makes an excellent product and holds his work to a high standard. I am very happy with my Reband exhaust, but it looks like the powder coating has some flaws. I still HIGHLY recommend the system and would buy it again.

I got my new Reband exhaust installed almost 2 weeks ago. Immediately I noticed that the ceramic coating was bubbled and flaking off at the Heat Shield mount points. They started rusting immediately, as did several other spots along the muffler and at welds.

I've had to sand off the rust and put on oven paint until this winter when I can completely recoat the whole system inside and out... at no small expense.

I'm super happy with the pipes' shape and sound, as well as the massive reduction in weight and increased power (no dyno yet, trying to get all my other crap sorted out first).

Has anybody else had trouble with the coating on their Rebands? I may have just got "lucky". Seems like I'm getting a lot of this kind of luck these days... you know the disappointing expensive kind... humm.

Assuming they are actually using ceramic coating on your pipes as opposed to high temp powder coating,or some other high temp product, the condition you are describing is likely the result of poor prep and or curing. If the coating actually flaked off from something that minor I'd bet on improper cleaning / prep. More specifically, they may not have been "profiled / blasted" prior to coating. You would likely know from the spots you had to spot in. Was the metal still smooth and shiny or did it have a light textured / blasted feel to it? If it is NOT blasted, the coating will eventually do what your describing. Ceramic MUST have a clean, textured surface to bite into. Chemical cleaning alone as well as guys using sandpaper and scotch bright is COMPLETELY USELESS.....

This is very common with many of the big name pipe manufacturers that have jumped on the "black pipe" band wagon. They're manufacturing process and or volume volume doesn't allow for blasting operations so they try to just clean the pipes and spray the coating over them. They look good in the box and many times make so far as being installed, but they to will flake off eventually as the pipe expands and contracts. You're usually out of warranty at this point.......

Do you have any pics of the pipes where they peeled or flaked off?

Back