Rear wheel bearing replacement...

Boss man

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket3
Just checking on this cause the manual is vague. I have the rear wheel off, the seal and snap ring removed.. I first tried to use a blind bearing pulled to pull the bearing from tithe hub and gave up.
I presume I can press them straight thru the hub? What centers the spacer sleev as it looks like it has a smaller outside diameter than the bearing.

Best way to remove the bearings is firstly get a rod or bar (12-16mm diameter or so) then put it most of the way through the wheel centre to push the aluminium spacer (between the bearings) to the side slightly then you can drive the old bearing out, once the first bearing is out you can turn the wheel over to drive the other bearing out.
I hope this makes sense

Just checking on this cause the manual is vague. I have the rear wheel off, the seal and snap ring removed.. I first tried to use a blind bearing pulled to pull the bearing from tithe hub and gave up.
I presume I can press them straight thru the hub? What centers the spacer sleev as it looks like it has a smaller outside diameter than the bearing.

Three bearings should be replaced, IMHO.
#3, #7 and #18
My original lasted about 20K miles.
I found the OEM replacements lasted even less miles.
I am now running Axis bearings, so far (14K) - so good.
Some prefer the All-Balls brand, BUT we have learned both are China made.
My next set shall be American or perhaps German made. Research necessary . . .
R3R-Rear-Wheel.jpg

There is a step the bearings locate against. They have to go out of each side. I use a drift. Starting from the drived side, move the center spacer to one side as far as you can. That will expose a little of the inner race on the opposite side bearing. You should be able to get on it with the drift and tap it out. Once out, you can remove the center spacer, then tap the double bearing out on the other side.

Bull. Use a blind puller. IMG_0149.JPG Tusk makes a #amn good one. {Red Box} Then use Motion pro {Blue Box) for installation. Anything else is just asking for it. One screw up and the rim is toast. Plus if the wheel bearing is not installed correctly with the proper tool it will wear out quickly. Claviger that tool is good for removing neck bearing races but this is a bit better IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0446.JPG either way it is to big for the wheel bearings. Will not fit. Proper tool will result in good job. anything else you might as well let the dealership #uck it up for you. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::coffee:

Best way to remove the bearings is firstly get a rod or bar (12-16mm diameter or so) then put it most of the way through the wheel centre to push the aluminium spacer (between the bearings) to the side slightly then you can drive the old bearing out, once the first bearing is out you can turn the wheel over to drive the other bearing out.
I hope this makes sense

Somehow I missed your post Tony. My reply shoulda been "what he said" ;)

Back