Rear turn signals

Jvheli

Nitrous
Ride
2016 Rocket Roadster
Wondering if anyone has shortened the stem (sucessfully) on the rear turn signals. I like the look, but they are too long for my taste. A search on the forum didnt reveal anything to me....

IMG_0420.JPG Felt the same way.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: PM me and will give you the details.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Wondering if anyone has shortened the stem (sucessfully) on the rear turn signals. I like the look, but they are too long for my taste. A search on the forum didnt reveal anything to me....
It can be done - BUT by doing so you will need to cut some structural parts and as such the structural integrity WILL SUFFER. If you want to give it a go - buy a set of identical copies from China via EBAY and modify those.

So I cut the stockers down.

1. Remove amber cover. Note inboard screws are machine thread.
2. Remove the nut(s) retaining the rubber damper to the license frame.
3. Remove the 2 wires from the rubber damper. Also note the white wire is ground IIRC. Easy here, you dont want to wreck anything. (Simplify by removing 1 of the clear insulators to aid removal)
4. I removed 7/8" from each side, which looked right to me. Use tape on the chrome stem to prevent the chrome from flaking. I used a cut off wheel on a die grinder for this.
5. Now we need to cut down the rubber isolater. And we want to retain the machine thread. To do this, first mark the legnth, then make a cut across the top part (were removing the steel strap now) continue the cut til you reach your legnth mark. Then completely cut thru the rubber isolater to legnth.
5. I used gorilla glue to rebond the steel strap to the rubber isolator. What worked well for me was to just bond the strap in place loosly assembled and let it cure. Then you can add more adhesive once removed.
6. The stem is slightly tapered. You will have to shave down the isolater a little to get the correct fit.

Got a few thousand miles and nothings failed. I know, it may seem putsy, but I really liked the Brit look of the lights bit didnt want them hanging
20180710_193425.jpg
out in oncoming traffic!

Good Job JVHeli, I just saw you original post and was going to reply explaining how I shortened mine almost 10 years ago. Then I read down and saw your final outcome. Yours looks great. I took about an inch off my stems and really like the look. I used a small stainless steel screw under the stem as an extra measure to hold it together.
DSC02969.JPG

Last edited:
Back