Rear Tire Keeps Deflating!

buddazero

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster 2018
So here's the story. 3 months ago I thought I caught a nail on the rear because it kept deflating after a couple of days. I got new Cobra Tires...it took 3 months. My dealership installed them, everything was fine. I put the bike away, then today as I got on the bike, I felt the difference. I pushed my fingers against the rear and guess what...the air is almost completely gone!

I was furious, this leads me to believe the tire was fine. I called the dealership, contacted some friends. Some say it could be a cracked Rim (but very unlikely), the valve where you put air in could be damaged, or the inner tube is bad.

Also, I asked the dealer if they found any evidence of a nail or any sort of tear on the tire, and they said "we didn't find anything"

It's not a fast leak, its slow. It always a couple of days after when the tire pressure gets low.

I'm taking it to Triumph to have a look at it. I got this bike last year as my second bike. I'm learning everyday, but what do you guys think. Anyone in their years of riding ever encounter this kind of problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

- Budda

A slow leak could come from several areas. The tire itself could have belt separation and leak. It could leak from the bead seal or a nail. The tire stem could leak where it is fastened to the rim (o ring) or from the tire valve itself. I doubt that the rim is cracked but potentially that could be the cause also (highly unlikely).

Get a spray bottle filled with a soapy water mix and spray it on the complete tire and rim. If anything is leaking, you will see a pile of small bubbles forming at the leak site. You've found your problem.

A slow leak could come from several areas. The tire itself could have belt separation and leak. It could leak from the bead seal or a nail. The tire stem could leak where it is fastened to the rim (o ring) or from the tire valve itself. I doubt that the rim is cracked but potentially that could be the cause also (highly unlikely).

Get a spray bottle filled with a soapy water mix and spray it on the complete tire and rim. If anything is leaking, you will see a pile of small bubbles forming at the leak site. You've found your problem.

Thank you for your reply, but unless I got the case of bad luck, I can't see how I punctured a brand new tire in less then 3 days. The front tire is completely fine (wanted to add that in). I'll try the soapy water method if the dealership can't find it-I'll even mention it to them.

Are Motorcycle Tire the same as Cars in terms of the parts involved? Cause the parts to a tire are the tire itself, and the inner tube. If the inner tube is damaged, there's no way to tell unless I take off the tire again, right? I apologize for the stupid obvious question. I'm just...frustrated. This has been an on-going issue.

Again thank you for your reply.

I see your bike is a 2018. Did you buy it new? Should be under warranty if it is the wheel. How many miles? I've heard the 240 tires are really hard to mount, possible they damaged bead surface when installing?

Yes I bought it new, and I have a warranty. What do you mean by bead surface, what is that?

When the leak started, I was about 3000 miles, now I'm 5000 miles today.

Disc-washing liquid will tell you where the leak is.
I have tried this several times and it always works.
I normally put one part disc-washing liquid to 5-6 part water and put it in a spray bottle, then spray it on the wheel everywhere including the rim. Some times it will take 5 minutes before it shows, but it will.
Some guy brought me a wheel that he wanted me to weld, because it had a slow leak. When I sprayed the stuff on the rim, it was bubbling up everywhere on the top of the rim, so the air was going through the alu/magnesium casting.

1) There is NO INNER TUBE - Well at least there should not be. The Rocket has tubeless rims.
2) Which Avon? - If it is the new Cobra Chrome - some have proven defective and have been recalled - ASK!.

Otherwise - check for leaks.

Due to the type of riding I do and where I go, I never want to worry about leaks or punctures, so have been using Ride-On sealant / balancer in all my motorcycle tires for several years now.
Is not cheap but it works. Easy to clean between tire changes.

Barbagris is right, Rocket wheels don't come with an inner tube.

Start with the simplest and quickest fixes:
1. check to make sure the wheel stem valve is tightened.
2. Wheel stem, If rubber, they are prone to cracking. If metal, they can get bumped or turned and the gasket starts leaking.
3. Tire seating on rim
4. Puncture in tire
5. Wheel integrity

Over inflate the tire, then use the soapy water approach to find a leak. Even slow leaks will appear.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Back