Rear shocks on r3r

Laurent

.020 Over
Dear friends

I think this subject has already been treated, but I want to know what are the best rear shocks for the Rocket 3 Roadster.
I just got my bike since last week and after a long ride last Saturday I decided to change them! The originals are terribles...:(:(:(

Thank you for your opinions and advice.:):)

Progressive 440s are the most common. I recommend staying away from the 412s. They are cheaper, but the damping is too light and springs to soft.

I use Triumph's 'Comfort Shocks' which I am very pleased with. I had assumed the newer bikes came with them, but maybe not.

Mate, when I first got my Roadster I felt that the same way - it was like the beast was trying to buck me off.

After making some enquiries I was informed that the shocks on the Roadster are a lot better than the earlier models. I am of the understanding the they now come standard with the aftermarket Triumph comfort shocks.

That said I found that the pre-load was set to 1 (the lightest setting)and since adjusting that up a notch or two (and giving the shocks a bit of time to settle in) I now find it a much better ride (or maybe I've just got used to it).

Saying that - I will look at upgrading at some point but not until I can be sure of a better ride.

Progressive, Hagon, YSS and if you have the real bucks fornalea air shocks from what I here are the best. Myself I like the YSS for the adjustable dampening and adjustable length + or - 10 mm which gives you room to decide where you want you weight to transfer to. I am sure ther are even more out there .

Progressive, Hagon, YSS and if you have the real bucks fornalea air shocks from what I here are the best. Myself I like the YSS for the adjustable dampening and adjustable length + or - 10 mm which gives you room to decide where you want you weight to transfer to. I am sure ther are even more out there .

Warpo,
You have mentioned these YSS a few times and I got curious. I am close to dropping the hammer on some Hagons; but, I went hunting these YSS. They look REAL interesting!
The .4 inch height adjust is indeed a huge plus.

The Z-362 and Z-366 appear to differ only in shaft diameter (12mm versus 14mm).
Which would you recommend for an H&H rider (ride hard & be heavy).
Best Regards,
1olbull

Warpo,
You have mentioned these YSS a few times and I got curious. I am close to dropping the hammer on some Hagons; but, I went hunting these YSS. They look REAL interesting!
The .4 inch height adjust is indeed a huge plus.

The Z-362 and Z-366 appear to differ only in shaft diameter (12mm versus 14mm).
Which would you recommend for an H&H rider (ride hard & be heavy).
Best Regards,
1olbull
I have the RZ366-320TRL-41 with different springs do to being lighter weight then the guy who bought them originally/ I would call them and talk to them about you riding style they will take their time and explain whats what and whoththey reccomend for you. Good feller German accent but easy to understand as he has been in the sttes quite a while. I found the sam for Hagons very customer friendly an d helpfull. If you order fancy coloer Hagons and oversized lengths they will have to be made in the UK which adds to time. I think Wayne Tripp stll has a set left over from his group buy you might want to check with him as they might be the right size for you. plus he had them at a discount price. I have a set but they are 1.5 inch longer then stock you can only use them with 3-1 pipes or the swing frome drags. They sure dump the weight up front for the twisties.

I went for Hagon Nitros and after 5000miles use they are better that the original Roadster ones, but not as good as I'd hoped. After setting the static sag at 15mm and playing with the damping I think I've got them set up as well as I can. Hagon will fit springs for your weight and are good to deal with. I still keep a sharp look out for bumps and potholes though or get a kick in the back.
Basic problem is the massive weight of the rear end on the R3R - it's never going to be as compliant as a monoshock like the Sprint ST although I have to say the old R1150 BMWs were superb.
There also Maxton in the UK but I don't know what they are like personally- and dearer than Hagons. Maxton Suspension home page

och2pot,
Sure didn't want to hear that. I HATE the spine smashing stock shocls for exactly the same reasons you speak of. Your half inch sag sounds about right; but, bumps, pot holes and rough corners are killing my back. Hate to think I may have to slow down some and smarten up.:D

Think I'll contact both companies and see what I can learn.
Thanks also to Warp for the dope.
1olbull

I'm running Gazi shocks and Och described my experience to the tee .. better than what i had ( at 65,000klms my shocks were flogged) but not as good as i'd hoped for. Work better two-up .. but i still keep an eagle eye out for potholes. Really tempted to get the Triumph comfort shocks ..guys that run'em seem to be real happy with'em.

Back