Rear shock replace

patrol21

.060 Over
Ride
2009 R3 RAMAIR Intake Full Jardine Exhaust Cor
Hello-looking for some opinions. Wife had spinal surgery 6 or so months ago. We ride extended runs as we are both patched BACA members but the stock shocks in the back which were always a touch of a nut buster are now past the ole ladies ability to handle....looking at hagon nitros or progressives but the cost is a bit over the top IMO.....if money was no option I would run Hagon's but 600 plus USD seems stiff. Suggestions? Trying to balance a budget vs. the wife's pain threshold.

Me too with the Nitros. Superb as they build them to your typical use ie commute, touring, leisure etc and to suit the weight of the rider (and passenger). Sorry they're that much. I live in the UK and managed to speak and deal with them direct

A lower price point is YSS - I posted a link recently to some selling cheap on eBay from Italy.

Post #25 here:
Rear shocks upgrade

I also want to replace my shocks and settled on Hagon nitro's but I dont know what to to order on their site I weigh 205 pounds and rarely carry a passenger. Most riding is mostly either highway or country roads. What Hagons do I need to buy? Also, will changing the front springs make a big difference and if so what to buy? I keep on being chased through twisties by a guy on Gixxer in my riding group and through corners he is rather nippy to say the least.... the only thing that saves my ego is the stupid acceleration of my Rocket (Maggie - after Thatcher) between the end of one bend and the beginning of the next. Easier for me to upgrade handling than for him to get torque that I have at my disposal.;)

Lots use Progressive brand progressive (Surprise, Surprise) fork springs with 7 w oil up from 5w stock.
04-12 Triumph Rocket III Progressive Suspension Fork Springs 11-1529

Progressive Suspension - 11-1529 - Fork Springs Kit Triumph Rocket III | eBay

I put Progressive's in mine with 10w oil but I am a 350lb lump. I also have their top of the line Progressive brand 444 model rear shocks.

Whatever you decide on, do some Google AND eBay searches to find best prices WITH postage to your location. Do NOT ignore ebay listings from other countries or posted in other languages or currencies as even after Paypal currency transfer fees and postage these can often be cheaper with exactly the same Paypal and eBay protections.

You can also get Wilbers made but branded Promoto front fork springs:
457742 PROMOTO Fork springs TRIUMPH Rocket III Touring 23 XC 07 | eBay

Promoto Fork springs Triumph Rocket III Built from 04 | eBay

as well as Wilbers branded ones:

Kit Springs fork Wilbers + 2x L Oil WP Triumph Rocket III | eBay

TRIUMPH ROCKET III Roadster Fork Springs stock height | eBay

Do your fork and dust seals at the same time:
Triumph Rocket III 2300 2004 - 2012 Fork Oil & Dust Seal Kit - With Oil

or just fork seals for less:
Triumph Rocket III 2300 2004 - 2012 Showe 3 Fork Oil Seal Kit | eBay

and lower range end rear Wilbers for slightly more than Progressive rears but Wilbers have a large range of higher end rear shocks as well. Wilbers are great quality but you do pay for it.

For most Rocketers Progressive 444 or Hagon / YSS or Shock Factory quality/performance is a good compromise.

Lower grade Progressives would be better than stock as you can specify spring rate.

With the Hagons and every other brand you buy tell them your weight and usual riding style and load i.e. with or without pillion and how much of each 50/50 etc. With your weight you would not usually need a HD springs unless you carry a load or pillion regularly as spring preload should cover your needs well.

If you want increased cornering clearance and sharper steering response get an extra 0.5-1.0" of shock height from 12.5" stock.

Definitely get a fork spring upgrade and oil change as well to get vastly improved handling and fit a 140 width Michelin Commander or Avon Cobra front tyre next time with stock rear size or an Exedra 240/55 radial rear.

Allan, why not drop them an email? I was lucky as being in the UK could phone them and spoke directly to their chief suspension guy named Dave. I even got a custom option with black springs which isn't listed.

I wonder why Hagons are 600USD - they're nothing like that much in the UK? I would recommend you phone them direct in the UK, even from USA/Canada. They are very helpful and will run through all the options. I got 0.5 over standard and normal springs and they are great for me (170lb kitted up solo only). I was told the standard springs are good for a range of something like 140-220lb so you only need lighter or heavier springs if you're outside that range or regularly carry a passenger.

Back