Rear Shock Issues

TriumPhil

Living Legend
Ride
'07 Mulberry Red, Carpentered & Bruted R3 Standard
I have a pair of 12" Progressive 44 Stds. left over from my last VTX. I understand that the OEM shock on our R3s is 12.5".

My question: Is anyone using the 12" 440 with either the OEM tire or with a 225/55 16 car tire. If so, are there any clearance issues and does the nonstock size significantly change the bike's geometry and hence its handling and performance characteristics?

I'm wondering if I should sell mine and get the same shock absorber in the 12.5" size?

You may want to hold off on that. Depending on how much you weigh the stock shocks may be sufficient. Though if you want to buy a "better" set...it's your money.

I weighed in at 240-250 (can't remember exactly) when I took possession of mine back in March of 2007. The shocks felt fine to me and when Baggage1 was riding behind me for my initial "long" ride around Escambia and Santa Rosa counties he said it looked like the shocks were fine.

Now that I've lost around 35 lbs (from about 256 in Sept. of 2008) I may have to re-look at the shock issue as it might be too stiff for my "lighter" weight.

Dennis

24 dtg Dubai
25 dtg Home

I run between 190-200 lbs depending on time of year, activity level, and snacking habits. lol

You guys really don't think that the 440s would enhance the ride and handling characteristics?

XHombre, I weigh the same as you and use the 412s 11.5". I ride 2 up sometimes with no problems. Even the 412s (OEM replacements) are a big improvement over the stock.

But see, that is what we are saying if you are "north" of the 200 or so pound mark the stock shocks are stiff enough so that they feel "adequate". But if you are "lighter" than 200 or so lbs then it may be to your benefit to go the "progressive" route.

One day I may hit below 200...working on it.

Dennis

24 dtg Dubai
25 dtg Home

Good luck with that, Dennis. Just say no to the second helping of goat and all of those contraband beers!:D

I'd guess that the progressive 440s allow for a much wider range of adjustment than the stock shocks, if they are adjustable at all.

Hell, it's just a couple bolts ... hold on to them and give 'em a try, ya never know, you might like the lowered look.

Back