REAR OUTPUT SHAFT BEARING GOING?

gldean

Supercharged
Just took the R3 out for a nice evening ride to eat. I've been noticing a little roughness and clicking coming from the drive line the past yew days. I coasted down the driveway when we got back the engine off and in neutral and there is definitely something unnatural going on in there. Hope it's not the rear output bearing, but I feel that's what's going on. :eek:(

The dealer opens Tuesday so I'll take it over then and drop it off and hopefully they can sort it out. :cry:

I currently have 9600Miles on the meter.

This is when I need two bikes to ride! :x

Gary

You're not going to take it to the one that 140CI did are you. His still isn't right.

Any one have the output bearing repaired and have it fail again?

I wouldn't want to have this happen every 5 or 10,000 Miles.

Does Triumph have a solid fix for those that have experienced this type of failure?

Oh and is there any evidence that running a Car tire would contribute to these failure?

Gotta get as much ammunition I can before I deliver to be diagnosed by the local shop.

I get the feeling there may be some finger pointing. We'll see? :(

I am not aware of any output shaft bearings that failed twice. There were a lot of output shaft bearings on some early bikes, maybe all '04-'05? Those were attributed to the bearing being installed backward at the factory with a seal facing the oil supply and thereby blocking it. Most of those bikes failed very fast, I think in under 6,000 miles. (this is all my recollection from posts here and folks I have talked to, you will need several grains of salt for this..)
There was also an issue with a seal on the very first bikes and the entire shaft drive unit, (manufactured in Italy by a sub-contractor) was replaced on the affected bikes.

The so called "upgrade" refers to the second gear and the second gear synchro/dogs. If the gear fails, the gear and synchro are both replaced. I understand the dogs are smaller/weaker but mesh easier. When it is being replaced a few other parts are also changed, hence the "upgrade kit", but it is not an actual package, and I think the official word from Triumph is, "What kit?" That's OK by me, as it seems, with a good dealer they stand behind the bikes and most everyone gets things fixed with only a little hassle.

Still, it is a torquey motor and it seems capable of tearing up more than just the asphalt.

Thanks skip . . . that's good to know. Hopefully it can be fixed because I love my R3, but don't wanna have to being rebuilding the drive line every 10M Miles. :?

TurboFan said:
till, it is a torquey motor and it seems capable of tearing up more than just the asphalt.

That's what concerns me after 9600 miles. I was just looking into putting a trailer hitch and building a lightweight trailer for it. :?

We'll see what happens tomorrow when I take it to the dealer. They also know I'm looking at the new T-Bird (if they ever get one in stock) as a consideration for my wifes next ride.

Well it's the shop and the dealer informed me that I have to contact Triumph to file a grievance with their customer service folks.

Hopefully they'll step up and take care it for me. Looks and sounds like they'll have to take it all the way down just to get to the part that's in need of fixing.

Oh well . .. there goes a wonderful riding season in the shop. I know feel the others pain of being down for a while.

So far after two messages, no one has returned my call.

I'll keep posting for those that maybe interested. :?

End rant. :wink:

Back