Rear caliper torque reaction bolt

Do you replace your torque reaction bolt?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 100.0%

• Total voters

alpental

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
I removed the rear wheel today and dropped it off at the dealer to change the tire. Reading the manual, it calls for replacing the torque reaction bolt (step 9). Searching through the forum, it seems like not everyone does this. Thoughts?

20151016_132841.jpg Screenshot_2015-10-16-14-27-49.png

Didn't replace mine when I had my brakes and and rear tire replaced. I ignored it when I read that before having the work done. Why would they even say that. It's not like a shear pin that might wear or break over time. If it's that fragile, Triumph better rethink the specs on their reaction bolt.

Didn't replace mine when I had my brakes and and rear tire replaced. I ignored it when I read that before having the work done. Why would they even say that. It's not like a shear pin that might wear or break over time. If it's that fragile, Triumph better rethink the specs on their reaction bolt.
Totally agree. I couldn't see any reason for changing it to a new one. In fact, in other parts of the service manual on jobs where removal of that bolt is required, Triumph says to reuse the same bolt. Just checking to see if anyone who reused it had had any adverse experiences.

Totally agree. I couldn't see any reason for changing it to a new one. In fact, in other parts of the service manual on jobs where removal of that bolt is required, Triumph says to reuse the same bolt. Just checking to see if anyone who reused it had had any adverse experiences.

I've always reused mine, maybe this is a grammar thing, when they say "replace" they mean put it back in place?

I've never replaced mine and have reused it each time on ALL my motors.

I've always reused mine, maybe this is a grammar thing, when they say "replace" they mean put it back in place?

Nope, the Triumph service manual is pretty clear in step 9 of installing the rear wheel: "...fit a new torque reaction bolt."

Sounds like we need to do some research . . .
Is the bolt heat treated?
Does it become brittle with age?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sounds like we need to do some research . . .
Is the bolt heat treated?
Does it become brittle with age?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

OK that's weird
Incidentally I had mine out yesterday as was fitting new tyre, Bridgestone now they made Darkside illegal over here:mad::mad::mad::mad:. Pretty sure the bolt is High Tensile, looks like it but I'll stand corrected, I do Loctite mine in place

OK that's weird
Incidentally I had mine out yesterday as was fitting new tyre, Bridgestone now they made Darkside illegal over here:mad::mad::mad::mad:. Pretty sure the bolt is High Tensile, looks like it but I'll stand corrected, I do Loctite mine in place

"now they made Darkside illegal over here"
WHAT???

Back