Rear brakes so easy to install if u don't read manual.

jcb7469

.060 Over
Ride
2010 rocket 3 touring
So I replaced rear brake pads on my r3t last night. 25 minutes from start to completion of test drive. My advice do not use the manual on this one. That way takes over 2 hours and a bunch of opportunities to mess expensive stuff up.

Planning on replacing all my brake calipers and brake lines this winter; braided stainless and some polished Pretec 6-pot units. That should be interesting, never done it before.

Need some help... I pulled out the small rubber boot that covers of one of the pins in the rear caliper. :mad: :banghead: Came out easy but... How in the world does it go back in? It looks like this piece acts like a bushing to allow play of the caliper.

OK, here it goes;

Unscrew the rear bolt which was covered by the rubber boot and goes through the caliper into the caliper holder. Remove the brake pads. Remove the brake line from the back of the caliper. Rotate the caliper upwards. Shift/slide the caliper assembly laterally, towards you. Hold it in the up position. This gives space for the bolt, which is nested in the caliper, to come out towards the rim side. Clean the bolt. Add a little grease into the boot. Push the boot through the caliper with a screw driver. Push the bolt back into the boot. Rotate the caliper back down and screw the bolt back into the caliper holder, snug... don't strip it!. Replace the brake line. Replace the pads. Bleed the brake line. Close the system and make sure your pedal hold pressure and does not bottom. Clean any mess on the floor, rim, caliper and pipes. Wipe your sweat and go get a beer. Order some new rear and front pads for the ride to Leakey. Have been warned by the seniors :thumbsup:

The rear brake assembly diagram in the manual is not correct and yes, the rear pads can be changed in minutes.

What is the size of the Allen in the rear axle? Torques for the rear axle and torque screw? Torques for the rear shocks?

It stopped raining and the ski is clear. Perhaps I can ride the Rocket tomorrow. Let's go!

SAM_0025.JPG

There is a video on you tube on changing rear pads its well done. I read the manual and was going to let the shop do it. Then found the video on you tube unbelievable. Simple job.

Here is that video. I will say it is very easy. However, one thing I did before removing the old pads was that I used a large flathead screwdriver to compress the pistons far enough for both pads, not just one. Do that first and both new pads go in easily.

I determined the same thing when replacing the rear tire and my 07 Classic and doing the brakes at the same time. The section in the shop manual should be titled: "How to make a simple procedure both difficult and time consuming"

Back